Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Bouton Bookends - Discussion

Thanks for this Gary, this font could also be useful with WDMX for some interesting bullets!

Bouton Bookends can be found inFree & Fixed Fonts Gallery.
    Last edited by Barbara B; 03 April 2012 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Added link to font
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Default Re: Bouton Bookends

You're welcome, Frances.

This typeface can be used with any webpage building program if you use @fontface.

But I'd discourage doing this, because the glyphs sometimes are exceptionally intricate and the overall file size is what matters when you fetch a typeface to load on a page. And this is a large typeface.

If anyone is interested in building a font for the web, I can help. And I can begin with suggesting that in addition to alpha-numeric glyphs, we also put buttons and common symbols in, so the page fetches once from the server, not twice to preload fonts. Here's an example page of symbols only. Which do we think could be added to an alpha-numeric fonts?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ff9ca4224311378f4e6ed177708da234.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	88477

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Which do we think could be added to an alpha-numeric fonts
    Gare, I'm not sure I follow. Are you asking which of those symbols to add?
    Not being into doing anything web related I don't know. However I have circled some that may be handy. I hope I"m not too far off base here.

Name:	sugestions.png 
Views:	154 
Size:	128.7 KB 
ID:	88480
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Hi Larry—

I was just throwing out a suggestion.

If you want to use a non-standard font on a website, the servers need to push the font to your system's browser before you can see anything.

It stands to reason that if you have three embedded (or @fontface) fonts you want to preload, this means three fetches from the server to your system to your browser.

That creates probably a noticeable time lag, a stall, a wait, and mostly you have a fraction of a second to interest your potential audience...and you lose because your fancy page loaded too slowly.

Forget the icons I posted for a moment. All I'm suggesting is that if you're going to create your own alpha-numeric font for the web, that you include common symbols you know in advance you'll use. So instead of having to preload an alpha-numeric and a symbol font, there's only one fetch.

I designed a typeface around Triplex Condensed for the Xara Xone, and within it, are these extended characters which are actually symbols. Do you see how these can be added to text without loading a special typeface? We've been using arrows on XX since January, while some we've not needed yet.

Name:	extended-charset.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	88483

But if we get a reoccurring need for a symbol in the future, I'm going to pull this typeface off the server, add the glyph and then upload it again.

OK thanks Gare. I guess I didn't understand and was off base.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Not "off-base" at all, at least not the way I interpret the phrase, Larry. To me, "off-base" means "rude" or asking an inappropriate question.

I was just trying to explain why mashing up a font destined to be a Web font is a good idea.

And you get it now, right?

Change of topic, and I'll move this:

I don't think we're going to get any fonts to fix...Bill and I have come up empty.

So as a substitute, what say all of us who are interested get together and create a group tg font?

I volunteer to coordinate the effort, and will provide royalty free public domain glyphs that need tracing over, specifically from the Burgeon stamp catalogue Barbara picked up at a garage sale and contacted what remains of the company (who said we're good to go on copying this excellent stuff).

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	88486

Let me pick 62 images that need tracing and refining. I'll assign them to volunteers to trace and supply the "font masters" (Bill, me, Mike and anyone else who knows how to work a font editor), and together we'll evaluate the font and massage it until it's ready for Prime Time.

What do we say to this?

-g-