Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Default Re: The tg Font Collaboration Thread

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    I also have an idea for a future project, I have this nice wall paper in my kitchen that has images of spice bottles and the names of an assortment of spices
    Hi Frances—

If were are to obey copyright laws (hint: we are), we can't use your wallpaper—nice as it might be—as a resource. All textile patterns—at least in the US and I suspect Canada, too—were created by graphic designs, and the pattern art belongs to the mill or other company that produced the wallpaper, gift wrap, clothing pattern, and so on. That's why you'll never see exactly the same design on a dress by different distributors.

I'm not campaigning to use the Linotype specimen book, or the other three Barbara procured, but the bottom line is they are Public Domain. All designs we trace over have to be PD, or we need permission from the creator.

Sorry to be a wet blanket, Frances! I occasionally riff on a pattern I see online, but if I think I'm coming too close, I don't show the art in public.

I think the very first step in the next typeface needs to be copyright permissions. I'd be nice to do a group font from scratch, but me, I couldn't volunteer that amount of time, and our gang here appear to enjoy the challence of accurate tracing of source material.

-g

Default Bergeon glyph

Here is #12885K from my page.

Take care, Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Morning Glory and Roundhead. Possibilities?

17506L

Take care, Mike

Default Re: Morning Glory and Roundhead. Possibilities?

OK finally here are all my glifs. I saved the hardest for last. It's the top middle one I took a few liberties with it because I thought the line work was too delicate and didn't show well so I beefed it up just a little.

glifs.xar
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

10005H

Take care, Mike

Default 10070K

Take care, Mike

Default Re: 10070K

A correction to one of my glyphs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	103306G.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	88744  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Default Minor problems, worth mentioning, but not a show-stopper

Got it, Bill, thanks.

I'm spending the wee hours putting the next version of the font together, not a final, but you all will be able to play with a fairly complete typeface shortly, probably today.

We wouldn't be learning if I didn't mention 2 faults I'm running into.

First, it's very inventive to use Pressure Profiles—I do this all the time to then convert the line to a shape. But it adds unnecessary nodes, that's just the nature of Xara's Pressure Profiles, and I asked last year that another look is taken at this feature.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	excess points.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	88748

The other thing is that when you flip a copy to complete a gylph, you have to make sure the inner sides touch and probable overlap before you Add Shapes.

I'm seeing some microscopic gaps at the center of gylphs. I've repaired them, but please do use Xara's fantastic zoom capability to nail these guys.

This is one of the most professional collection of gylphs, intricate and valuable, and I want people to use this font and marvel at the craftsmanship.

My Best,

Gary

Default Burgeon Ornaments font, round 2

I put version 2 together of the font, worked the code pages, Bill, and I've attached the vfb project file along with a TTF and an OTF version of the font.

Try it out: I've done custom spacing and kerning so you can, for example, type 777, and the gylph becomes a border. Let me know what's wrong (I think there's a dupe in there), and let's get however many more to make it a complete typeface. I've also tried to organize the glyphs in some sort of similarity: Art Deco, Victorian, no classification.

Here's what's left to go, 15 I think:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	missing.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	88750

-g-

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: The tg Font Collaboration Thread

Hi guys, is it just me or is it getting a bit confusing discussing two different projects in the same thread? Perhaps we should finish the burgeon stamps font in this thread and if Larry and Christine want to begin on the Morning Glory or was it roundhouse? Perhaps Larry, you or I could move the posts pertaining to that project into a new thread? Opinions?

I have one more glyph to do in my set so I hope to have them posted later this afternoon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.