Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Default Re: Assignment Time!

Hi Christine—

That's a lot of work, and generally it looks great and usable. There are one or two problems I can correct for you when I put the shapes into FontLab and into our group typeface.

You had a couple of nodes that support extreme changes in direction and an additional control point needs to go next to it. When the fulcrum of a curve is too far away from its origin, programs that read vector files (eg. Xara, modeling programs, typeface engines), there's often a problem rendering them to screen and for printing. Ideally, control points are evenly spaced along a character's outline, and used only when there is an abrupt change in the path.

That said, these are wonderful, thank you, the group thanks you...and I will try to put together a "proof of concept" version of this font over the weekend.

We should take it slowly so Frances can participate when she gets back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nodes-again.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	88589

My Best,

Gary

Not to worry Gare, I haven't finished mine yet. I'm going as hurryingly as I can.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

The approach is not to hurry, pal!

We'll get there, with everyone's help and patience, and I already have project #2 waiting in the wings, more fun, more group participation.

Slow 'n' easy, Larry!

I'll be here, promise, not going anywhere.

-g-

Hi Gary, I've been reading whats been happening lately, and saw the font thingy yesterday. I had a try of one of the designs you gave Christine, and I'd like to offer my help with tracings, if you have something left.
    Michele

www.michelemowat.com

Hi Purrfekt—

Let me get you a new, unique set, momentarily.

No sense in duplicating another members' work when we still have 20 to go!

(10 minutes later...)

Okay! Attached! You read all the guidelines?

To all: we have ten glyphs reserved for angelize, but that doesn't mean the group effort is over. Barbara discovered a boatload of really good public domain art in specimen books the LOC digitized to PDF. Some ornaments, some incomplete font sets.

So don't delay, sign up today for The TG Font Sequel.

Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Gare; 07 April 2012 at 03:06 PM.

Thanks Gare, was just trying to see if my tracing skills where up to scratch! I'm happy to leave something for someone else.

Yes, I read the guidelines, and I hope I get it right but I'm sure you will correct it if its wrong.
    They will take a while to do at first, but once I get going time will speed up hopefully.
    I will send something to pick apart...correct later!
    Good onya Barb, you have a busy lady there.
    Michele

www.michelemowat.com

You do that, Michele!

It's going to be a terrific result, Bill and I will coax along character designs that are only 90% perfect (purrfekt?)...won't, you Bill? :) —and I think everyone will learn a little something.

And isn't it awfully late in Oz right now?

—g

Yes Gary, I will coax when needed. Still working on my set. After viewing some of Christine's work I felt like starting from scratch.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I hope all goes well.
    I've had a look at the page you sent me and there is some pretty designs there. I think I need new glasses though cos the really small ones are pixelated at 500 per cent viewing. I guess we could fudge it on the plainer designs send them to you and see what you think!

Yes getting late it is 12.09 pm. but I don't sleep too well these days so I might do some of this work because there's not much on the giggle box.
    Michele

www.michelemowat.com

@ michele— I confess that there are some really nice, but fairly small designs on all of the pages I'm assigning, Michele.

Tell you wot: there's no "due date" on the designs—if there are one or two you feel you simply can't estimate because it's too low in resolution, post the image in the forum here, and I'll try to get a larger resolution scan back to you.

The problem is that the book is 100 years old and we don't want to damage it in any way.

I'd try sharpening the image or just make two copies, one large and one small on a page. Trace over the large one, but use the smaller one for visual reference, for perspective.

By the way, this is a good tip in general!

@Bill—I would be totally cool if, when you've done your set, you want to begin the vfb file, the font itself, using your work. I could then look at it and mess around if needed, or not. Then you could mess with my FontLab work when I've done it. I didn't assign myself a set for this face, but will do so for the sequel typeface.

My Best,

Gary
    Last edited by Gare; 07 April 2012 at 03:56 PM.