Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: The tg Font Collaboration Thread

Also if any of you haven't yet posted your release please do so Thanks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

@ Larry—

It means everyone can contribute and kibbutz, but those of us equipped with FontLab or Type Tool SHOULDN'T post a new version of the typeface, thus creating confusion as to the most current, real version.

I didn't want to make it sound like a dictatorship, Larry. I just see already massive confusion over the finished typeface. I don't see that Bill has checked in (Bill Taylor, not Bob Taylor, my goof, sorry!), so I'm not sure he'll agree to be FontMaster, but this thing's not going to get finished if everyone with a typeface creation program posts their own "finished" version of Burgeon.

Let one person do the code, let one person upload the typeface, let everyone make suggestions.

We're real close I think.

-g-
    Last edited by angelize; 19 April 2012 at 01:19 AM.

Well my little emergency has been resolved and my bank account significantly reduced.

I don't mind being FontMaster, I'm learning new things constantly during this collaboration. FontLab Studio (5.0.4) offers many new features that FontLab 3.1 was never designed to do.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

@Frances—

I'm attaching a readme.txt document to this message. Here's the contents:

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
    The Celebrated Burgeon Ornaments TG Typeface
    April 2012 The TalkGraphics Fonts and Typography Forum
    a fantastic ornamental typeface for Xara and other graphics programs, traced over the original Burgeon specimen catalog for stamps by Michele, Bill, Mike, Frances, Christine, Larry, and Gary, members of the Fonts and Typography Group at TalkGraphics.com.

© 2012, The Fonts and Typography Group @ talkgraphics.com

http://www.talkgraphics.com/forumdis...and-Typography

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Dear Graphics-Loving Individual,

Thank you for downloading this file. The content that accompanies this file has been brought to you by The Fonts and Typography Forum @ TalkGraphics.com.

You can freely use it as a component for both your private and commercial projects, including software, online services, templates and themes. The content, as a standalone item may not be resold, sublicensed, rented, transferred or otherwise made available for use. Additionally, this free font may not be offered for free downloading from websites other than TalkGraphics.com.

Please link to—

http://www.talkgraphics.com/forumdis...and-Typography

—the area online in which this free content was released if you would like to spread the word.

Yours sincerely,
    Gary David Bouton, for
    The Fonts and Typography Forum
    @ TalkGraphics.com

I'd appreciate it if we didn't discuss this text to death and just run with it :). It's legal enough, so it serves its purpose and I use the gist of it all the time whenever I post free stuff, with my own credits substituted, natch'.

My Best,

Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for doing that Gare it looks good. I was about to contact Mike about that very thing.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

You're welcome, Larry.

It's a very handy template for plugging in specific items. Save it and re-use it with our next fonts.

-g-

We do need to discuss this.

The content, as a standalone item may not be resold, sublicensed, rented, transferred or otherwise made available for use. Additionally, this free font may not be offered for free downloading from websites other than TalkGraphics.com.
    We can't restrict like this if we release as a SIL Open Source License.

If we want these restrictions then we need to write our own license. This language might also keep folks who are paying attention from being able to use the Font Squirrel generator and other stuff. And it in someways conflicts with the first sentence below.

You can freely use it as a component for both your private and commercial projects, including software, online services, templates and themes.
    Releasing under the SIL will give our font the widest possible use and make the conditions of use unambiguous.
    What it won't do is let us insist on TG being the ONLY distribution point. As much as I'd like TG to be the only distribution point, I don't think that is ultimately practical -- you know it will turn up on the free fonts sites and I don't think we have the time and resources to try an police and enforce the limited distribution.

One of the goals we had for producing this font was to make a beautiful, well crafted font freely available to the world.

Another (perhaps unstated goal) was to attract positive attention and perhaps new contributors to the project which would yield more helping hands, more chances to learn, more friends to make.

Letting our font "fly freely away" with plenty of documentation to point folks back, maybe even including a formal invite to come and join the effort in the font package, will in my opinion accomplish our goals of gifting the world with a font (however they can find it) and attracting new participants to the effort.

I recommend that everyone read the FAQ on the SIL license and the license itself.

Additionally if we do go with the SIL licence we need to do the following (from the FAQ)

Question: 4.2 What do I have to do to apply the OFL to my font?

Answer: If you want to release your fonts under the OFL, we recommend you do the following:
    4.2.2 Put your copyright and the OFL text with Reserved Font Names into your font files (the copyright and license fields). A link to the OFL text on the OFL web site is an acceptable (but not recommended) alternative. Also add this information to any other components (build scripts, glyph databases, documentation, test files, etc). Depending on the format of your fonts and sources, you can use template human-readable headers or machine-readable metadata.
    4.2.3 Write an initial FONTLOG.txt for your font and include it in the release package.
    4.2.4 Include the relevant practical documentation on the license by including the OFL-FAQ.txt in your package.
    Barbara Bouton
    TalkGraphics Forum Administrator

The Xara Xone website developer. | TheBoutons.com

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I think you are right Barbara, there is no way we will keep it from eventually showing up on all the free font sites, and some like FontSquirrel will do an offsite link and send their visitors to us to download the font. Others may link back to us if we ask them to. Perhaps we should leave that line out of the read me text.

Once we have our download package posted in our Fonts Gallery (which by the way I was wondering about renaming it as TG Free Fonts) I am actually wondering if it would be an idea to contact Fontsquirrel about having our fonts listed (with offsite links leading back to TG Free Fonts) with them.

As for the two items that need to be included in the release package I'll need some help with those.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Will someone please check to ensure that no other duplicate glyphs are in this compilation of the font?
    Last edited by angelize; 22 April 2012 at 08:50 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I'd be happy to do this, Bill.

Please, don't anyone else post this font back, okay?

-g-