Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Default Re: Celebrated Burgeon Ornaments tg: Final Countdown!

Michele the dollar, pound, etc are for a different font and the second collaboration. Your contribution is still needed.

This is first collaboration that we have completed which is a decorative font that does not use those characters.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Default Re: The tg Font Collaboration Thread

Thanks to everyone that participated we make a good team.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I hate to rain on everyone's parade but I found a problem. if you hit a key stroke that doesn't have a glyph assigned to it in Designer Pro at least (I haven't tried it in any other program yet) The program crashes! I get an error message that windows needs to close the program and the program closes without giving me a chance to save anything ( Thank heaven for Xara's back up feature!)

Shift+1 for example as if you were typing an ! will cause the crash.
    Last edited by angelize; 18 April 2012 at 01:58 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Frances I can't duplicate that problem.

There is a problem that the cursor does not move but the glyph is added the the document.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	burgeon-exclamation.png 
Views:	94 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	88867  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I still can't get that glyph to work. No matter what I try it crashes XDP7
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |

I'll take a look at it, but it won't be until tomorrow.

Scratch that, try this new .zip with updated .vfb, .ttf, and .otf files.
    Last edited by angelize; 19 April 2012 at 01:16 AM. Reason: removed link to beta version
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Congratulations Folks!

Before we officially release this to the world we need to come up with the following to include in the zip file.

1. A readme file that tells the story of how the font came to be along with a list of contributors and how TG is the original home of the font. Links to the font and forum A volunteer is needed for this.
    2. A pdf showing the keys that correspond to the symbols. A volunteer is needed for this.
    3. A png or two showind a sampling of the characters.
    4. A license. Consensus is needed on this.
    5. The League of Movable Type includes webfonts - I think we should suggest that if folks really want to use this as a webfont they should use the Font Squirrel Generator http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fontface/generator to generate a webfont pack complete with css. Font Squirrel is constantly upgrading the service to provide the most bulletproof, cross browser methods for using webfonts.

I suggest using the SIL Open Font License (OFL). The original artwork is in the public domain, so the font really should be Open Source.

It is an open source license that is specifically created for fonts. The League of Moveable Type uses it.

Because one of the goals for creating fonts here, is to make them freely available for the world to use, it is a good idea to have each contributor to the font, formally licensed their contribution to the work, so the world can use the font without any questions. You are granting a license to use your work in the open source licensed and distributed font. (I am not a lawyer. The following is a cut and paste more or less from http://producingoss.com/en/copyright-assignment.html. In my non-professional opinion I think it is more than necessary for our project, but if anyone else wants to suggest language -- please do.)

Any license we use would require something like this, so would each person who participated in the project copy legalese below, putting their own name in of course and post it to this thread so that it becomes part of the record.

---------------------------------
    I ( name here,) as a contributor to the project undertaken by a group in the TalkGraphics.com Fonts and Typography Forum, to create the following fonts, Celebrated Burgeon Ornaments TG. otf and Celebrated Burgeon Ornaments TG.ttf, grant a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable copyright license to reproduce, prepare derivative works of, publicly display, publicly perform, sublicense, and distribute [the] Contributions I made to the work and such derivative works.

I understand that this is a license agreement only; it does not transfer copyright ownership and does not change my rights to use the artwork I contributed for any other purpose.

Your full name and country of residence.

--------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Barbara B; 18 April 2012 at 05:55 AM. Reason: typo
    Barbara Bouton
    TalkGraphics Forum Administrator

The Xara Xone website developer. | TheBoutons.com

What you say makes a lot of sense to me Barbara.
    I might be interested in number 2. I don't know much about creating pdf files, but, I'm willing to give it a try.

"each person who participated in the project" I assume that means everyone even those of us who traced some of the glifs like me.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Yes! Problem fixed! Thank you for looking at it tonight Bill. This version then will the one I will post in the gallery.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TGFontABC.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	88873

Lower case d and f are the same as are b and r.

more:

e and j
    l and t

Christine
    Last edited by Christine Farrelly; 18 April 2012 at 05:57 AM.