Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Paragraph Styles in MX

I find it interesting that you can apply a Paragraph Style to one Frame of Text and a different P Style to another frame of text and when you link the text flow and then add text to the first frame until it overflows into the second, the second frame now has two paragraph styles and possibly to the same paragraph.

Default Re: Paragraph Styles in MX

Hmmm? Yes, according to the documentation, a paragraph may only have one style. So the program must know that even though there is no space between paragraphs that they are indeed separate. Curious.

I didn't download the trial of MX, so please excuse my ignorance. Shouldn't it be normal behavior that paragraphs within the same text frame be able to have different paragraph styles associated to them? And if I wanted to use different styling within the same paragraph, I would then create and apply a character style? Just like any other software? Or am I misreading the issue?

Take care, Mike

Mike

According to Xara, you can only have one "paragraph style" per paragraph. But a paragraph may also contain numerous "Character Styles." So, yes, if you wanted part of a paragraph to be green italics, and you wanted to use green italics in other parts of your document, then you can create a new style and apply it at will throughout the document.

So this is expected behavior then.

Mike

OK I'll revise what I just said after trying it out ( ). If you remove the space between two paragraphs of differing styles, both styles will exist in what appears to be one paragraph. We'll assume the first style is Normal Text. And we'll call the second style Normal Text 2.

The second style will lose its name and appear as Normal Text +. If you duplicate the two paragraphs, modify either of the paragraphs and create a new style, then both the Normal Text paragraph and the Normal Text + will take on the characteristics of the Updated Style.
    Last edited by gwpriester; 30 March 2012 at 08:02 PM.

Ah. Unexpected behavior then. Thanks for the clarification.

I guess I'll know how it works when I upgrade XDP...

Take care, Mike