Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Setting Defaults in Xara P&G Designer 6

Every time I open Xara I have to change the default settings under "Utilities", "Options", "Units" from inches to pixels. There are other default settings I'd like to change as well, but my question is how do I change those settings to default so that when I open Xara, I don't have to go reset them? This is a PITA! I have searched through the help files and don't see any info on changing the standard default settings! Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Coleen
    "Tears are not a sign of weakness, they are a sign of how deeply we loved."

Default Re: Setting Defaults in Xara P&G Designer 6

Hi Coleen,
    After you get everything the way you want it then from the file dropdown "save template" be sure the check the box "use as default template"
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Coleen: I've been having the exact same issue, and completely with you - it's a Major PITA. Thank you for asking the question.

Wizarde509: Thank You answering this question! = )

If I may ask, why did Xara make this "feature" part of the build? What happened to Xara just remembering your settings? I can understand if someone wanted or needed to create a custom page or unit, but to have the program default to the default settings every time it loads? It just doesn't seem like a "feature" to me, seems more like a lack of thought or dare I call it a "bug" or "Glitch".

quite a few of us don't use the same units all the time it depends what we are doing, remembering the last settings in this case could be exactly the same thing as loading the 'wrong' ones
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I often have documents using different units open at the same time. That particularly happens when I'm doing graphics for PowerPoint presentations. PowerPoint uses inches, so I need inches as a reference. However, the images are exported as bitmaps in pixels. So I have one version of the file in which I'm collecting and sizing (and often "placing") the graphics set to inches.With the inches, I can easily relate to the measurements in PowerPoint, and with the pixels so I can refine the export (all whole numbers). Similarly, in some desktop publishing tasks, I have one file set to inches and one to points.

I'm very grateful that Xara uses the paradigm it does so the units are document-based, rather than application-based. I find it much more workable.

Okay, those are valid points. Why not let the user decide on to have it it set to the default setting on start up OR the user defined startup settings? Seems like a simple idea, if you ask me, but I admit I'm not a programmer.

I don't have a problem with simply clicking file>new and then the template I need, when I start - I guess for speed you could set up a set of templates on the desktop and simply open the one you wanted, although you would loose the sequential numbering of new files [untitled-1..2....] and you would need to take care not to overwrite them
    Last edited by handrawn; 14 April 2011 at 08:34 AM. Reason: add some
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I too am frustrated by the resetting of even the simplest variables.

One in particular is those related to the shape tool.

For example, when I wish to draw a rectangle the default is transparent line with black fill. When I change the the setting, say to reverse them, and move on to other tools and tasks I find the rectangle has reverted to the default.

Setting my choices in a template works ONLY for the first use!

There has to be a logical, simple way round this - what is it?