Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default On Facebook - what size/format of image to upload will create the best logos ?

Hi

What is the best size of image to use to upload a company logo into Facebook?

The problem is whatever size of image (I am currently using GIFs) that I put in, I am ending up with rather blurred results - particularly on the thumbnail versions of the logo!

As far as I can see, Facebook are resizing whatever you put in as your company logo to appear on a Facebook Page as:
    A) 125x125 pixels - for the logo at the top of the page
    B) 32x32 pixels - for the very small thumbnail versions of the logo

One problem is that these to two sets of dimensions arent even clean multiples of each other (!)

You might think that the answer should be to upload an image that was a nice multiple of the thumbnails size, so that resizing would be a clear 4 pixels become 1 pixel. For example if you multiply 32x32 by 4 your would get 128x128. or perhaps better would be by 8 times ==> 256x256 pixels.

Any thoughts?

J

P.S. If I create a logo as GIF format the output is nice and sharp - however the problem is that Facebook are converting it into JPEG in any case. So would we be better off (trying to) give Facebook an JPEG image in the first place?
    *Note: seem my previous thread about trying to get Facebook to output nice clean JPEG format images!

Default Re: On Facebook - what size/format of image to upload will create the best logos ?

Arg. I just responded to your post in the Xara Xone forum which I will now delete.

Use True Color PNG and hope for the best.

Default Re: On Facebook - what size/format of image to upload will create the best logos ?

Facebook is probably converting to jpeg at a high compression setting to reduce the file size. Saving space on their servers is probably more important to them than image quality.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Arg. I just responded to your post in the Xara Xone forum which I will now delete.
    Sorry Gary - I realised afterwards that this post was in the incorrect location, AND that it was talking about "logos" rather then the correct Facebook jargon of "Profile Picture". The problem however was that I couldnt find any method of deleting this post even though nobody had yet replied to it. Anyhow my apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Use True Color PNG and hope for the best.
    Okay so True Colour PNG seems to be the way forward but what about pixels dimensions?

If you mean the new timeline then I used a 180px x 180 px jpeg for the thumbnail and it came out quite good, try not to create anything larger than this as when they downsample it will become blurred.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Sketch - Odd that it would become blurred on downsizing the image.

If you increase the size of a bitmap, the resolution decreases and the image gets fuzzy. But if you decrease the size of the bitmap, the resolution increases and the image should remain as sharp.

I suspect the Bill is correct when he says FB convert to JPEG with a fair amount of compression to reduce the file size of the image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sharpness.png 
Views:	309 
Size:	9.4 KB 
ID:	88403  

That's what I meant, if you upload a 700kb image which when they display it, will look horrible is they have compressed it (or as I said downsampled it)
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

OK