Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default new feature suggestion - a palette editor

I know that it is most likely too late to ask for any new features for the next versions, but perhaps for future a palette editor would nice feature to have.

A palette editor would work much like the Xpal utility created years ago, and still available on the Xara Xone Shareware pages, but would also have controls for importing palette files, and for selecting colours from a group of vector objects as well as a bitmap image.

so for example you could create a set of rectangles for swatches, use the colour editor to edit the colours and name them, you would have them all selected and open the palette editor and you could click import from selection and the palette editor would generate your palette of colours which would be named according to the names you gave them with the colour editor.

A save button could save the palette to the program,s palettes folder and an import button could allow you to browse and select any palette files that Xara can use and save them to the palettes folder.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Default Re: new feature suggestion - a palette editor

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    so for example you could create a set of rectangles for swatches, use the colour editor to edit the colours and name them...
    Frances if you save your .xar file at that point you would have your palette. Simply open the .xar file when you want to use those colours and have it shown in the Color Line.

As for browsing and selecting palettes you can do so in Windows Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by Xara Help
    Importing colors and Palettespalettes

You can import the following color table and palette files:
    • CorelDRAW Palettee .CPL and .PAL
    • Adobe Color Tables .ACT
    • Adobe Color Swatches .ACO
    • PaintShop Pro Palettes .PAL

• Microsoft Palettelettes .PAL
    You can import the colors of a Palettepfile into a
    document, or place them in the Color Gallery so they are always available. To
    import a Palettepalette
    file into an existing document drag the file icon from Explorer and drop it onto
    the document window away from the Color Line. To import it into a new, blank
    document drag the file icon from Explorer and drop it on the Color Line.

To add a Palette to the Color Gallery, open the folder into which
    you installed the program, open the Palettes folder and copy the Palette file into this
    folder. The file must be in one of the formats described above.

Imported colors are always named colors.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I know all that but I guess you could say what I am suggesting is to have an editor dialogue that would let you control it all from directly with in the program, and give you features like Xpal has. And I dislike having a "palette of coloured squares floating around my document, I prefer to have a palette file in the gallery and keep my colourline uncluttered
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

I prefer to have a palette file in the gallery and keep my colourline uncluttered
    It will be in the colour gallery under the current document name. If you uncheck 'show in colour line', there's no colourline clutter.
    You can still select the colour directly from the gallery document (or any other) palette for your page objects.
    And I dislike having a "palette of coloured squares floating around my document
    If the "palette of coloured squares" is on it's own layer, hide it - then it won't annoy you.
    This really is the best method from Xara, otherwise you would just end up with lots of custom colour palettes cluttering the colour gallery.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    If the "palette of coloured squares" is on it's own layer, hide it - then it won't annoy you.
    until such time as you make use of the 'all layer/objects visible' feature

It will be in the colour gallery under the current document name.... This really is the best method from Xara, otherwise you would just end up with lots of custom colour palettes cluttering the colour gallery.
    I don't think that's the point

I must say I was suprised when I first used the program that there was not a method from within of managing colour palettes [as opposed to just managing colours]

lots of custom palettes would not be a problem if there was a 'colour palette gallery', and you could pick and choose which palettes you wanted loaded from there into the colour gallery as default at session start
    Last edited by handrawn; 17 March 2012 at 12:59 PM. Reason: add last five words for clarification
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

The Color Gallery is a Palettes Gallery and you can have chosen palettes loaded with your default document.

Select the palette(s) and use the Show in Color Line option and save as template.

I'm not trying to be difficult only explaining how to do what you are asking the program to do that it already can do.

I would like a feature where a document's named colours can be saved to a .jcw palette in the Palettes folder. There is already a stub of code for saving a palette but to my knowledge it has not been enabled with the necessary coding. I am assuming that the code from the XaraLX project regarding the loading of jcw palettes is part of the current Camelot releases.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I know you are not being difficult Bill [are you ever ] - we were talking about different things

Its true you can save a template document... but it would be better IMO to be able to load [and remove] palettes from the colour gallery during the session and to be able to define defaults there.. remaking a template everytime you want to change this does not strike me as 'good practice'...

saving to a palette - yes agreed
    Nothing lasts forever...

Steve you do not need to save a template to have specifc palettes to be opened when you start a new document as I mentioned before. Wasn't thinking clearly, had not drank my first cup of tea.

All that is required is to have the Show in Color Line enabled. When the application starts it checks to see which palettes have that property set and adds them to the Color Line.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Xara will only pick up palettes from the xara palette folder - right?

most other programs that I use will allow browsing to find palettes to load

this means that, using those programs, I only need one master copy of a defined palette in a sensible place on my system which is in a resource location not in a program folder.... I would like this to be the case with xara too
    Nothing lasts forever...

You are correct Steve. I never thought about using palettes that are not in the Xara Palettes folder.

I rarely use palettes in other apps. Photoshop, PSP, PhotoPaint are used only for manipulating photos so no actual color work is done within them, only adjustments of existing pixels.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update