Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default The best April Fools Joke of them all!

Back in 1977 The Guardian (UK newspaper) published a 7 page special report on San Serriffe, complete with adverts. Take a look here and here, you will love it.
    Even Cooper Back Coolsville) is used for the headlines!
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Default Re: The best April Fools Joke of them all!

I have already booked my cabin on the boat going there.

Many fonts that are copies of existing fonts are given similar sounding names, e.g. Coolsville for Cooper Black, but are often poor copies with bad font metrics, character drawing etc. I would put Coolsville in this category.

Default Re: The best April Fools Joke of them all!

There's an area where tg members volunteer to provide the industry standard name for a typeface they seek or have, and need to match
    Name That Font.

Yeah, yeah, MyFonts.com has "What the Font?!", but tg can assist with an actual person with experience trying to font match, and our thread's name is PG, unlike MyFonts'.

The reason why we see so many knock-offs with similar names is sort of a "wink-wink" within the industry. A digitial typeface cannot be copyrighted, but a font's name can.

and that is why a generation of CorelDRAW users believe that Aachen Bold is called "Aardvark Bold", because it was the first (alphabetically) font that came with the app.

Some knock-offs are expertly created. Coolsville was designed in 1993 and was probably auto-traced from a scan. Not all Font Bank typefaces are this poorly created.

My Best,

Gary