Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default A simple cut/paste question

I have two jpegs of homes - one with a porch and one without. I have used the shape tool to select the porch in the one picture (It turns black as it should and copied it). The question is how to I paste it onto the other picture so that it shows up as a porch and not a 'black' selection? I apologize for the dumb question but at my age, I need all the help I can get. Thank you.

Bob

Default Re: A simple cut/paste question

Hi Bob - You should say, at OUR age.

You want to add the porch to the home that is missing a porch, is this correct.

Select the photo, then switch to the Shape Tool.

You should see four small squares on the for corners of the photo. Drag a selection rectangle (with the Shape Tool) around the two top corner squares (they should become red outlined squares) and use your down arrow key to lower the top edge as desired. Repeat this for the other three sides until you have just the porch left.

Now you can add the porch to the house that is porch challenged and if the perspective and angle are correct it should look like it belongs there.

Thank you Gary for the quick reply. I understand what you suggest. But that is not the result I was hoping for. This porch is on a white house. The porch has 6 white columns. I have carefully selected each of the columns and the 'white porch' and concrete pad - all separate selections. And have pasted them onto the second picture of a 'beige' colored house. I thought that I could just cut/paste the selections and have the actual picture of the porch pasted onto the second house and not the 'black' selection area/shape. Is this not possible with a vector program or am I doing something incorrect?

Bob

Hi Bob--take the object you are drawing that is to clip the porch photo. Send that outline object to the back and it will still be selected. While it is still selected, hold the shift key down and click on the photo. Now tap the Q key. Make sure to make multiple copies of the photo to clip the other parts as well.

Alternatively, you can have the drawn shape on top of the photo and press CTRL + 3 and the remainder of the photo will be cut away.

Take care, Mike

It might be helpful if you could upload both photos, Bob. A picture is worth... etc.

Thank you both for your help and suggestions. Mike's suggestion helped me achieve what I wanted. Thanks again.

Bob