Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Search and Replace an Extended Character ?

Is there a way to search and replace a character (which is an extended character) using the "u+####" code? The character would typically be part of a string of characters.

For instance, find all instances of a Star character and replace it with a Box character (or a character from the keyboard)?

I know you can cut and paste a character into the find and replace dialog which is a two step process (once for the find field and the other for the replace field) but I hoping for a way to enter the "U=####" code like you can with ASCii character codes via holding the Alt key using the numeric keypad.
    Last edited by jclements; 22 March 2012 at 06:15 PM.
    IP

Default Re: Search and Replace an Extended Character ?

Not in Auntie Illy. You can use GREP in ID and you can load glyphs into the find box in ID, but none of this is available in AI.

About the only "speedy" way I have done it is to have Windows' character map loaded, copy and paste the find character, copy and paste the replace character. Mainly because I can never remember the unicode map. Depending on the AI file, the fastest way for me is to simply copy one glyph and highlight individual instances of the one to be replaced and paste.

But for a whole bunch of replacing, I think pasting the appropriate symbols into their respective F/R boxes is the fastest in your case.

Take care, Mike
    IP

Thanks, Mike.

Kind of off topic, but I did just discover a way to find the unicode for symbol that you don't recognize (say you import text created in another app and see an "X" for a character). Select the character, copy it, paste into into a MicroSoft Application, put your cursor directly behind it, and holddown the Altkey-and-X. The symbol will be replaced with its unicode (you can toggle it back to the symbol using Alt+X again), copy that code and paste it into Charter Map and do a search. So it could be helpful if you need to find out what the unknown character might have originally looked like.
    IP

Awesome tip. Thanks.

Take care, Mike
    IP