Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New site I did for a charity( Dyslexia )

I recently did a site for a local charity( Scottish Rite Masonic Dyslexia Learning Center ). Despite it being a pretty simple site it was a royal pain as I was given almost NOTHING to go on initially to get me started. One of those we want a site but don't know what we want so you just do it things. I learned a long time ago that leads to nothing but trouble so I was very wary about agreeing to do it.

It never seems to fails that when you agree to that kind of situation after you do the work the client always wants something else. I am sure some of you have been there too. However, as it was for a good cause, and seeing as my Dad is a Mason( no connection to the charity/center ), I agreed to do it and volunteered my time to boot.

I was given a couple graphic files and one paragraph about the center to build the site on. That was it. They sent a couple teddy bear images that are the logo of the charity and a couple Scottish Rite logos if I wanted to add them. That was it. Before looking at the site check out what I had to work with( I didn't use the Scottish Rite images )...

Thankfully the liason they assigned to assist me was a tremendous amount of help and got back to me right away when I requested things. I finished it up a couple days ago. Overall I am pretty happy with it. Nothing fancy but nothing fancy called for here.

The Board Of Directors meeting for the Center was last night so I finally heard back on it. They were very happy with what I did and no changes needed to be made. There are some things they want to add down the road but they are good with what I did. Phew. I guess they liked the header so much they are going to have it reproduced in vinyl for the building's street front window.

Here is the site. Thanks for looking.

http://www.seacoastlearningcenter.org/

Default Re: New site I did for a charity( Dyslexia )

Dyslectics of the World Untie!

Great site. It's about time someone paid some attention to those of us who cannot pay attention.

I want to congratulate you. You did a marvelous job and I know very well what is it to do a website without any texts/materials given to the web designer.

I also did two like that:

(1) http://thalassemiasociety.org

(2) http://www.bdamauritius.com

Thank you.

It is quite the undertaking to have to do a site when the client gives you no direction at all. It is not something I willingly do but it was a charity and for a good cause so I did.

Good job on your sites.

You are amazing!

This is a fantastic site.

The only thing that I would prefer is larger font sizes on the menu/navbar - it's just a pet peeve of mine. I like larger fonts to accomodate my old age vision.

What did you use for the Events Calendar and the Blog?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy399 View Post
    You are amazing!

This is a fantastic site.

The only thing that I would prefer is larger font sizes on the menu/navbar - it's just a pet peeve of mine. I like larger fonts to accomodate my old age vision.

What did you use for the Events Calendar and the Blog?
    Thank you for the kind words.

Hmmm, I never really thought about the font size. I have vision issues due to my disability and I can see them ok. Maybe I will go and increase them a bit. Thanks for the constructive criticism.

The calendar is from Google. The center already had it setup so I just had to put it into the site. I am actually not a big Google fan but I actually use their calendars myself when one is needed for a web site. They are easy to make, easy to edit, and easy to insert.

The blog is also from Google but I had to create it as they didn't have one already. I picked the Google blog seeing as they already had Google accounts( made it easier asigning permissions to post ). It was just easier giving them a blog with sign in features they already understood and used( and it was STILL a nightmare explaining it to them ).

Both are inserted using <IFRAME> .

Calendar = www.google.com/calendar
    Blog = www.blogspot.com ( this is a Google site )

Which exact programme did you use to make this site?

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I can't tell you which exact version, but a Xara program was used to create this site. If you right click on the background and chose to view the page source info you will see the meta name will show XAR FILES.

I check each site for this before I approve them for the Gallery.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

I know it's Xara, Frances.

That's why I asked 'which exact' programme was used?

Designer Pro?
    Web Designer?
    The new MX?
    or what?

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Very good indeed. The circular title text around the teddy on the top left you could make white with black outline to stand out from the blue behind it a bit more and match the white around the photos on the top right.