Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Changes at website server

This is my first post and I am a new user so please forgive what probably has been asked before. I did not find my question in the FAQ section.

I created a website and transferred my design from Xara P&G D 7 to that site/server. I wanted to add the "favicon" logo and added the appropriate HTML at the server .htm file since I could not determine how to add it via Xara.

When I update the page on P&G D 7 and send the revised page to the server the "favicon" is gone because the HTML is overwritten from the "new" .htm file sent from Xara.

Is there a way to keep HTML added at the server in place on a webpage??

Second question:

Can an HTML file be imported to Xara P&G D 7 and become an editable .xar file??

Default Re: Changes at website server

Hello Venado, welcome to TalkGraphics.

To add a favicon to your P&GD7 project create a placeholder and position it on the pasteboard. Assign the name <head> to the placeholder so the HTML code you put in the placeholder will be added to the head of the document.

You will need to create a 16x16 pixel Windows icon file and name it favicon.ico.

Copy the below code and put it into the replace with Replace with HTML area of the placeholder properties. The button will indicate it is for the body but having given it the name <head> it will actually be placed in the head section of the exported HTML file.

Code:
    <link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" href="/favicon.ico">

Xara programs are not HTML editors so you cannot open htm or html files in P&GD7.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Venado I have moved your thread to the Xara Web Design Chat forum. Your questions are spcifically about Web topics and not Graphics topics.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thank you for the prompt reply and I apologize for getting this in the wrong place.

Welcome to TalkGraphics venado

There is an even easier way that you can use with Photo and Graphics Designer 7 as well as Web Designer 7 and Designer Pro 7.

Create your image for your favicon, click the little yellow name tag icon on the infobar, and type in favicon and press Add.

You can place this graphic off to the side of the page. The size is not important as Xara will convert it to the proper size on publish.

Every time you publish your site, the favicon will get published too.

Thanks Gary, I thought that only worked in Web Designer 7 Premium and Designer Pro 7. Tried it in P&GD7 and it worked very well.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Yeah, I was not sure either. But it does work.

Sounded great but I must have goofed gwpriester.

I added the name "favicon".

The favicon name was XXX.ico (it was already the proper size). I placed the XXX.ico image off to the right side of the page, saved the page and when published the XXX.ico ended up on the webpage right where I put it on the page not up in the address.

The name "XXX.ico" is now in the "Used Bitmaps" list.

Obviously I did not "get it"... where did I goof up?

I think you added an extra step.

Just select the image you want to use, group it if necessary, then name it favicon. Place this image to the side of the page on the pastebpard area (outside the page).

Xara will take it from here. You need to do nothing more. Just don't delete the image from the pasteboard area.

OK. Go back and try it again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	add name.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	6.4 KB 
ID:	88086  

I need a bigger hammer..!

I am soooo dense, the area outside my page is grey in color, (I assume this is the pasteboard you refer to) is that somehow different than your illustration which is white?

I did not understand "group if necessary"?

I tried to follow the directions several times. First importing the 18X18 image name "XXX.ico", second using the image renamed to "favicon" (only) and of course it could not be imported. I then tried importing the full sized image XXX.gif. I placed all of these attempts on the grey area outside the page after doing the ADD name thingy. BTW the name never appeared in the "Names Applied" box as your illustration shows, but it did appear under the "Used Names" in the Gallery.

I will drop this if this is getting to be too much of a hassle for you. Now that I have your instructions perhaps it will come clear to me as I gain experience using Xara.