Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Calligraphy - A dying art?

I like to dabble in calligraphy but is it a dying art? Or is there a place for it in todays technology? It is now possible to use the shapebuilder in Designer Pro X to do calligraphy, but using a graphics tablet is just not the same as ink on paper. Thoughts?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Default Re: Calligraphy - A dying art?

Frances I don’t think any art form will ever be completely dead. There will always be a varying number of people that may practice any art form at any particular point in time.

Twenty Two years ago many people that worked in offices that issued wedding licenses were trained in calligraphy. I don’t know if that is still in practice but like everything else in the world what goes around comes around again in time.

Fifty years ago I was among many people that were purchasing metal nibs as my primary calligraphic tool. Thirty years ago many of the calligraphers I knew were practicing the very old skill of making quills from goose feathers.

There will always be a varying number of people interested in a skill and will keep it living to varying degrees.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi Frances,

You might appreciate the amazing work this gentleman does; he makes it look so easy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en9y2...2&feature=plcp

more here:http://www.youtube.com/user/hamidrezaebrahimi

Enjoy!
    ~Fred

I think it isn't dying at all. Many still loves calligraphy and it's really an amazing art if you are trying to explore more on typography.

there are lots of sites dedicated to calligraphy - here's one oriented to pen and paper [primarily copperplate] from which I still buy steel drawing nibs [I have no commercial connections to the running of the business]

http://scribblers.co.uk/

a tablet pen is just a pen... all pens differ... but unless you have a cintiq or similar the technique is rather different, because you cant really see the pen and the stroke at one and the same time as you draw
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...