Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dumb Question on Textures

I just downloaded this months freebie from the Xara newsletter... it was a package of textures. I have never downloaded textures or other things like this before so I have a dumb question, lol... I unzipped the folder, but I don't know where to put the textures. I thought there would be a "textures" folder or something in the program files that would be obvious, but I'm not seeing anything. Can someone please direct me? Thanks!

PS: I am on Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 7

Default Re: Dumb Question on Textures

Hi Fuss,

Can you point me to the specific part of the Xara Outsider that has the textures package. I must be overlooking it.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Hi fuss you can save your textures to a folder on your hard drive and in P&GD open the fills gallery and click disc fills at the top, browse to your folder of textures and open it. Click add and Xara will ask you if you want to create an index click yes. your folder will be added to the fills gallery and you will be able to open it and fill any object with any of the textures. you can also apply them as a bitmap transparency from the fills gallery.

@Bill: I think that fuss is meaning the free textures featured on the Xara Xone in February, click the free stuff on the Xara Xone home page, and where it shows the give away of the month click go and at the bottom of the page beneath the March entry you should find an archive listing of all the give aways for the year so far.
    Last edited by angelize; 31 March 2012 at 03:50 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Thanks Frances, the Outsider is the only newsletter I know about. The Xara Xone is much more than a newsletter in my opinion.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

There is a section at the bottom of the outsider that shows what's new on the Xara Xone, I suspect that fuss has clicked that and gone to the Xara Xone and downloaded the textures from there.

The Xara Xone is most certainly much much more than just a newsletter!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |

What I do with textures is create a folder for the textures, I categorize mine. Anyway make a textures folder with the ones you want and put it somewhere out of the way. Open the fills gallery and select the disk fills button and navigate to where your textures folder is located and click on add. Now they will be available in the fill gallery.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fills.png 
Views:	128 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	88429

EDIT: Sorry while I was getting this ready there were 3 more posts.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Hi Fuss,

Can you point me to the specific part of the Xara Outsider that has the textures package. I must be overlooking it.
    Here's the link to this month's newsletter: http://www.xara.com/us/outsider/march12/

The free download link is all the way at the bottom (I guess it does link to XaraOne, but I never pay attention to all the various names, lol).

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    Hi fuss you can save your textures to a folder on your hard drive and in P&GD open the fills gallery and click disc fills at the top, browse to your folder of textures and open it. Click add and Xara will ask you if you want to create an index click yes. your folder will be added to the fills gallery and you will be able to open it and fill any object with any of the textures. you can also apply them as a bitmap transparency from the fills gallery.
    Thank you, Frances.

I am trying to follow your instructions, but Xara is not coming up and asking me if I want to create an index. I went to Galleries and see that the Fills gallery is checkmarked. If I click on that, that just unchecks it. Other than that, I'm not clear where the fills gallery is that you are referring to. Help? (I've never used fills before so this is all new territory to me).

I am using Designer pro but the galleries should work the same. The galleries are at the right side of the program window, you should be able to mouse over the labels at the side to make them fly out. I keep all my galleries pinned open.(check the little push pin icon at the top right corner of the gallery)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gallery screen.png 
Views:	144 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	88433
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Frances looking at your attached image reminds me that I still have that tutorial to write about folder names and subfolders in the Galleries.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update