Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default How Do I Install Photoshop Plug-in in Photo & Graphic 7?

Hi. How can I install photoshop plugins in my xara Photo & Graphic Designer 7? I looked in the help and also on page 298 of the pdf, and I am lost. Please, help; I am new. Thanks

Default Re: How Do I Install Photoshop Plug-in in Photo & Graphic 7?

Hi
    In Designer go to UTILITIES > OPTIONS > EFFECTS AND PLUGINS and Set Folders for Plugins and Effects. Once done they should be available via the list of Live Effects (Live Effects Tool).
    Derek
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	88097  
    Last edited by masque; 18 March 2012 at 07:22 AM.

Hi Keith.

If things are not working, then it's likely that you haven't got the 'plug-in' folder path set up correctly.

On the menu bar at the top, click on 'Utilities' and then on 'Options...'
    You will see the Options menu open up (shown in the attached image).

Click on the 'Effects & Plugins' tab.
    Where is says 'Photoshop Plugins', click on the 'Setup...' button.

When the Setup box opens up, this should show you where your plugins need to be installed.

(You can see the path, where my plugins are installed.)

If this is not set up, then click the 'Add folder...' button and navigate to, and select the folder, where you intend to install your plugins and click the 'OK' button to enter the folder in the setup box.
    Click 'OK' and you should be done!

This is in Designer Pro 7 but I think it should be similar in Photo & Graphic Designer 7

Edit: OK. Derek sneaked up when I wasn't looking and gave you the answer first!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plugins.PNG 
Views:	199 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	88098  

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Can I make another suggestion only really use Plugins that work with PS version 7! I use to have a fair selections of plugins in my folder but it made Xara D P 7 very sluggish indeed so I now only have what was supplied and installed with a few others.
    Design is thinking made visual.

following on from what has been said - if you set up plugins as suggested you can switch them in and out easily if they are organised in folders and so get over the resource-hogging hopefully

I have actually done this with the supplied plugins where practical [but I would take care to backup first if you do this]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks for the help everyone. But I am still having problems. I set up the path as follows:

c:\Program Files (x86)\Xara\Xara-Photo_Graphic_Designer_7\Xara Picture Edtitor\PSplug-ins\Downloaded Plug-ins\

It still doesn't show the plugin I added in the downloaded folder. The AV Bros, Redfield, and Mehdi plugins are also subfolders of "PSplug-ins" (that is how it comes from XARA). I added the new subfolder "Downloaded Plugins", and I then copied a download PS plugin into the "Downloaded Plug-in" folder. I then closed Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 7 and then reopened it. But when I go to the Live Effects tool as Masque stated above I do not even see the selection of "Downloaded Plug-ins" that I added. I see the AV Bros, Redfiel, and Mehdi, but not the "Downloaded Plug-ins," which is weird because they are folders on the same level.

I would appreciate any help. Again thanks for everyone's help so far.

--Keith

I remember only PS 5.5 plugins would work if your using native plugins. The structure was changed in version 6. PS compatible plugins mostly work. If they don't show, then they aren't compatible. Not everything that works in PS will work in Xara. AutoFX plugins are an example. Things that use layers, masks and selections probably won't work either. I cannot say about Graphic 7.

Rich

Hi,
    Open Xara Designer Pro...got to Plugins and open plugins> Select setup and browse to your folder ....download Plugins...select that then click 'create'...Xara will make a Xar info file. Now up on top select new and a fly out will open which if everything went correctly your plugin should be there.If not go to setup again and navigate to ...downlaod Plugins and see if that has sub directory...if it does then select that folder and then click 'create'. some times when you install plugins to your own directory the plugin installer creates its own directory within the one you chose.
    JIm
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    Hi,
    Open Xara Designer Pro...got to Plugins and open plugins> Select setup and browse to your folder ....download Plugins...select that then click 'create'...Xara will make a Xar info file. Now up on top select new and a fly out will open which if everything went correctly your plugin should be there.If not go to setup again and navigate to ...downlaod Plugins and see if that has sub directory...if it does then select that folder and then click 'create'. some times when you install plugins to your own directory the plugin installer creates its own directory within the one you chose.
    JIm
    On the Photo and Graphic Designer 7, there is not a button called "create". After I browsed to my folder, I clicked "ok", and then "apply". But it still did not show.

--Keith

Quote Originally Posted by KeithH View Post
    On the Photo and Graphic Designer 7, there is not a button called "create".
    Actually it's called 'Add Folder', Keith. Perhaps I can help with showing you via a short video of installing plugins in Photo & Graphic Designer 7?