Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Changes at website server

No, you are overthinking this. Once you create the image (and you only need to group the image if there are more than one object--text and a square for example), name it favicon and go about your business. Everything will be done automatically.

No need to do one more thing.

Well I have tried it both the long way and the "easy" way and am still not getting it done. I am pooped and will attack again tomorrow.

Thank you both for helping me. I now have your instructions to go by and suspect a new day and a fresh mind will bring clarity.

One more question before I go to bed:

I added HTML into the <body> for a SiteLock gizmo and it worked fine.

Is it possible that this "body HTML" is keeping the HTML for the Favicon in the <head> from working when put in as instructed?

Hi Venado

Here is a working example if it helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I added HTML into the <body> for a SiteLock gizmo and it worked fine.

Is it possible that this "body HTML" is keeping the HTML for the Favicon in the <head> from working when put in as instructed?
    Possibly. You could try removing it and republishing to see if this is the cause. I shouldn't think so, but you never know.

There is another thing you can try.

When you publish your site to your computer, Xara created the favicon.ico Copy this file (favicon.ico) to the root directory on your web host's server along with your index.html file. Browsers look for a favicon.ico file and load it automatically along with the index file.

Also, the favicon might be there and you might not be seeing it. Try pressing Ctrl F5 to refresh the page and see if it appears. Or if you have another browser installed try the page on that. Or... give us a link and we'll see if we can see it.

This is really straightforward and should be working. Hang in there, we'll get to the heart of the matter sooner or later.

Sleeping on it did not help.

Drwyd, thank you for your post. I published your sample page to the website and it worked fine with the favicon showing as it should in the address line.

In your sample page you have the gold star icon in a section at the top of your page followed by text. Is that in any way part of getting the favicon inserted in the HTML? I do not have anything similar on my page.

gwpriester, I will try another browser and report back.

It did not show in another browser (G Chrome), I normally use Win Int Ex.

I am working on a sheet that is not the index sheet. The index sheet has my favicon on it now but it was put there via HTML at the server.

In your sample page you have the gold star icon in a section at the top of your page followed by text. Is that in any way part of getting the favicon inserted in the HTML?
    The smaller star is irrelevant to the favicon working. Only the larger one is required.

Favicons should show in all browsers that are accessing the site via the internet. IIRC only Firefox will show it when viewing off-line.

I went to HTML on server and found:

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="schedule_htm_files/favicon.ico"/>
    <link rel="icon" type="image/vnd.microsoft.icon" href="schedule_htm_files/favicon.ico"/>
    <link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="schedule_htm_files/favicon.png"/>

Looks like Xara is sending what I want, therefore problem is elsewhere.

I took the code shown in the post above out at the server HTML.

I then tried the shortcut way to create the favicon and again could not get it to work.

Next I tried the initial "long" way by naming a small (proper sized) favicon.ico <head> in Xara

Inserted the following code into the <body> box in Xara:

<link REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="http://webname.com/index_htm_files/favicon.ico">

I now have a favicon..!!

This code is the same code I had used to make it work manually when I originally inserted it in the HTML at the server.

Thank all of you for your kind help. I can not explain this stuff but the result is OK. I now have the most time expensive favicon in existance since I'm sure I worked on it 8 hours or more.