Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Our first Font Play - Coolsville Regular

I know it's not the first Friday of the month but to celebrate our brand new forum we are are going to start off our first Font Play early! After this they will be posted on the first Friday of every month! Check out what is a font play and how do I play too for rules and a general idea of what a font play is then come back here and have some fun!

The first font is Coolsville regular
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coolsville.png 
Views:	656 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	88079

This is one of the Fonts that comes with Xara. You can find this font in the Fonts Gallery, if you don't have it installed select it in the library and click install at the top of the gallery and that's it you are good to go!

Let's Play!
    Here is an example I did using this font.

Name:	coolsville_1.png 
Views:	583 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	88080
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Default Gary plays with Coolsville

A little bit of a back-story on "Coolsville". It's actually Cooper, and the weight is alternately called "Black", and also "Fullface", rendered in 1924, and created by designer Oswald Cooper.

Oswald Bruce Cooper called Cooper Black a font "for far-sighted printers with near-sighted customers". There are a lot of variations, many of them cast by Bitstream, but "Coolsville" is the classic Cooper.

I think I eschew using it in work because it's the second font anyone ever gets, the first being "Broadway."

And although the Packard Auto Company and Anheiser-Busch used his fonts, Cooper really is remembered by one product use, the one I've used in my submission.

Name:	SushiRolls.jpg 
Views:	425 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	88085

Default Re: Gary plays with Coolsville

Very interesting Gare. If I might ask, where do you get that kind of information. I was just wondering so if I need to know sometime I'll know where to look. I would like to be as knowledgeable as you sometime.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Hi Larry—

1. I know the real name of that typeface. Quite seriously, when I joined a users group in town in 1991, Cooper Black was one of 11 typefaces I bought on a floppy disk for $10 at the meeting. A year later, Corel included it, so I'm well-aware of "Coolsville", and its original name.

2. I did a Google search using the key phrase "Who designed Cooper Black typeface?".

#. I looked up the design on wikipedia.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

I am not all that knowledgeable, Larry! 99% of the people who appear smart on forums just know how to conduct a good search online!

My Best,

Gary

Oh Dear!

By the time I finished drawing, things started to warm up a bit!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coolsville.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	88100  

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Cooper got a bit overused in the early, so-called DTP era. I remember seeing it used on near-countless newsletters and brochures that came through the service bureau I worked for through the 1990s fixing files for them that originated on PCs.

Stylized, it hit several LP album covers, tie-dyed t-shirts, etc.

Here's my little play for the day--Thanks Frances

Take care, Mike

Name:	hippie_design_works.png 
Views:	445 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	88103