Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Upload site to 123 reg

Hello Everyone. I'm new to web design and a bit confussed. I have finished making my site on xara and need to upload it. I have paid for my domain name and hosting on 123 reg but just cant work out how to get the site on there. I have tried everything but cant do it. I have tried doing it from in the xara software but it wont work and the file manager on 123 reg wont let me upload the export folder or sitemap that xara made. Has anyone else used 123 reg???? does the xara software even work on 123 reg????

Sorry if this has been asked before. I did search the forum before posting

Default Re: Upload site to 123 reg

Hello Paul, welcome to TalkGraphics.

Please contact your host and verify they have setup your domain so you can access it via ftp. Find out from them specifics about any subfolder you must use for you web pages. Also verify they have configured all the necessary permissions for you.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Hello Paul, welcome to TalkGraphics.

Please contact your host and verify they have setup your domain so you can access it via ftp. Find out from them specifics about any subfolder you must use for you web pages. Also verify they have configured all the necessary permissions for you.
    Yeah its set up. I put the correct info into the publish part of xara (info i got in an email from 123 reg) and it starts to publish before a box pops up saying cannot find the file specified.

Which file is it saying it cannot find?
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

does not say. I just tried to download filezilla. I connected to the host ok and moved all the files over but nothing. 123 say on their site that you might have to delete their index with either filezilla or the file manager online but there is only two folders (web and log) and they wont delete

Paul what folder did you upload your site files? Did you change the name of the first page?

Web hosts require the page to be shown first must be named index.htm, index.html, default.htm, or default.html if it cannot find a page by any of those names the website will not be shown.

What is the url to your site?
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by paulbateman View Post
    does not say. I just tried to download filezilla. I connected to the host ok and moved all the files over but nothing. 123 say on their site that you might have to delete their index with either filezilla or the file manager online but there is only two folders (web and log) and they wont delete
    I use 123 reg and use filezilla, you should have a "public" folder, in that will be a Index.htm file that loads when you call the webiste address in your chosen web browser, you can either delete it or just rename it index.old, filezilla is pretty much drag and drop to use, setting up filezilla is a breeze, heres a 1.2.3 guide if it helps.

open Site Manager in file Zilla, click on the "New Site" button and in the general tab you will see:

Host: (this is where you put either the full url of the site or the ip address 123reg would have supplied - doesnt matter which.
    Port: you can leave blank.
    Protocol: FTP - file transfer protocol.
    Encryption: Use plain encryption.
    Logon type: Normal.
    User: ftp@"domain name"
    Password: (your given password for the acct).
    Account: (you can leave blank).
    Comments: (put relevant details in here about site or leave blank).

Click on ok to save the settings, first icon on the navbar at the top is the quicklaunch button, click on the downward arrow and you should see your website detail in their, click on that and it should open the public_html folder where your current "index.htm" lives, as i mentioned, delete or just rename it and go to the folder where all your website files are, highlight them all and you can drag and drop them into the publc_html folder - should be as simple as that.

The above is based on a linux based 123reg account, not sure if the 123reg windows account is any different

hope that helps

Ray

With Linux packages at 123.reg you need to upload to the /public_html folder. With Windows it is /web/content

I had the same problem for a clients website a year or so back and Drwyd is right, check to see whether it is linux or windows hosting and follow Drwyd's advice above.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Cool!!! I got myself the windows package cause im a newb and then realised i could have got the linux.....nevermind. Anyway there IS a folder named web with a another folder inside named content.

Ok. so when i export from xara, it gives me the 8 pages of my site and a index folder so i will chuck all of that into the content folder with filezilla and see how it goes.

The site name will be cushtiband.co.uk