Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Hand Lettering vs Hand Writing Fonts

I use the same fonts all the time, so a font forum per-se is of limited interest to me

Typography sounds interesting

A lot of my letting is done by hand on the bamboo, not sure that is relevant here
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Re: Hand Lettering vs Hand Writing Fonts

Then, handrawn, perhaps you could begin a dialog with the rest of us why you don't use handwriting typefaces, and prefer to hand-letter?

Blambot is a terrific resource for cartoon strip typefaces, and I've digitized my own handwriting and block lettering and use these fonts.

Even if you have your own reasons for hand-casting text, I'm sure you have preferences in execution you might share: do you use a tall or a short x-height for lower case letters, do you stick to one member of a family, or do you have a set of bolds and italics in your head? Stuff like that?

Typography combined with dtp I think is a rich area that wouldn't tire for quite a while as a thread, IMO.

Attachment 87243

-g-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	typography.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	87249  
    Last edited by Barbara B; 16 March 2012 at 05:16 AM. Reason: title edit

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    handrawn, perhaps you could begin a dialog with the rest of us why you don't use handwriting typefaces, and prefer to hand-letter?
    in a nutshell because I am an artist - and that is quite different to being someone who produces art, as I am sure I do not need to explain to your good self
    we all write but few are 'writers'
    we can all contruct a rhyme, and some of us metre - but few are poets

"typefaces friends is boring
    we must not say so...." to ape Mr Berryman

I only mentioned it because I thought there may be a place here for those who, to an extent, use a tablet to letter rather than a font - on reflection, maybe not
    Last edited by Barbara B; 16 March 2012 at 05:17 AM. Reason: title edit
    Nothing lasts forever...

Well, I think I understand when I'm asked to be an artist, and when I'm asked to be a designer, but I think you're getting at practicing versus immersion, aren't you? Like you simply cannot help yourself from stopping to appreciate a sunset?

I confess I'm addicted to Art, have been since I was old enough to creatively mark a surface (much to the chagrin of my parents)—and I "see" the Art in typography, appreciate the lines, the symmetry and the fine reinforcement a poem can adopt by being cast in the "just-so" typeface.

One of my all-time favorites is Benguiat, but it needs to be "served" with the right underlying thought.

Sort of like serving the right cheese at a wine tasting.

My Best,

Gary
    Last edited by Barbara B; 16 March 2012 at 05:18 AM. Reason: title edit

ok Barbara

Meanwhile Gary.... [sigh]

Well, I think I understand when I'm asked to be an artist, and when I'm asked to be a designer..
    no doubt - but when I am asked to be a designer, I just say no

.... and the fine reinforcement a poem can adopt by being cast in the "just-so" typeface
    except that poetry is a performance art - spoken aloud for real, or spoken aloud in the head - either way it has to be said because meaning comes out in the way it is said, .......fonts? sorry, totally irrelevant, no way they can add to the meaning of words but I guess they might make the pinted page look 'better designed' or give psuedo-feel to doggeral
    Last edited by Barbara B; 16 March 2012 at 05:27 AM. Reason: title edit
    Nothing lasts forever...

I can't argue with you, handrawn.

Imagine the above set in Emigré Remedy Swash, 72 point, to embellish and reveal the meaning in it.

C'mon! You use freaking emoticons but you're agnostic about typography?

Attempting to parse pretzel logic,
    Gary
    Last edited by Barbara B; 16 March 2012 at 05:28 AM. Reason: title edit

I can't argue with you, handrawn.

Imagine the above set in Emigré Remedy Swash, 72 point, to embellish and reveal the meaning in it.

C'mon! You use freaking emoticons but you're agnostic about typography?

Attempting to parse pretzel logic,
    Gary
    one of the great lossess in modern society is that so much verbal communication is made without being face to face with the person you are communicating with, and since a large % of communication is in body language this is indeed a loss.... forums are even worse because you don't even get verbal inflection - emoticons are a very small step towards mitigating that and, from my point of view, have little or nothing to do with typography [takes opportunity to munch pretzel ]

I'm not so much agnostic about typegraphy as 'old school' - which is that you use your words and phraseology[should there be such a word] to do the work, and use embellishments very very sparingly indeed - this is a writer speaking not a designer - as a writer I look upon typography as a crutch for the lazy; if I were a designer I would see it differently I am sure - but I am not

no different in cartoon sequential art - KISS is king of the caption, and legibility is far more important than flounce - plus of course, its graphic, so the best effects are.... er, handrawn you might say - modern graphics tablets and hand-script software such as you find in win7 all help......

so.... typography does sound interesting for the forum as a whole ... maybe just not for me, unless hand scripting is included...
    Last edited by Barbara B; 16 March 2012 at 05:18 AM. Reason: title edit
    Nothing lasts forever...

Greetings handrawn

Hand scripting sounds like a very interesting topic.

Why don't you you start a thread about it-when you use it , how you do it, what technical or artistic tips for hand scripting you have?
    Barbara Bouton
    TalkGraphics Forum Administrator

The Xara Xone website developer. | TheBoutons.com

if I ever get the time....
    Nothing lasts forever...