Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: March 2012 Xara Vector Grunge Effects by iamtheblues Guest Tips and Trick Tutoria

Thanks for the noise Gary, I've just got round to doing Bob's tut and I also saw G.P's method for grunge, not a lot of difference really and the effects in both are good, that's only my opinion Also I found that extruding these grunge effects DP7 was not happy and whitened out a few times so I left the extrudes out and settled for just the shadow.

Stygg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	111.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	88548   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	112.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	88549  

Last edited by stygg2003; 04 April 2012 at 12:21 PM.

Default Re: March 2012 Xara Vector Grunge Effects by iamtheblues Guest Tips and Trick Tutoria

You did good, stygg—the "UberPoint" here is that you use a method provided by Bob or someone else, you modify it to suit your needs, you ultimately add a tool you crafted yourself to your personal toolbox.

Let it be said about grunging up something, that we are appealing to a lesser strength of Xara—dirtying up and distressing something really is the sport of a bitmap editor and not a vector drawing program, at least not aesthetically (all the time) and technically. You choose the right tools for an artistic effect, and the result of 1,000 autotraced pieces of grunge are harder to process than a bitmap of grunge, because the vector math is (unecessarily) complex to comfortably work with what is essentially random noise.

This is not me dissing the use of Xara, not to take away any of the praise I have for Gary P. and Bob sharing their techniques.

I'm saying that with your intelligent eyes wide open, you'll see that this technique is more uphill than painting some noise in a bitmap program.

Then again, you can't extrude bitmap noise...

My Best,

Gary

Gare, I agree that vector noise is probably likely to be a job for a small minority and that bitmaps are generally the way to go. But having said that, occasionally a job comes along where the client insists on vector grunge for perfectly good reasons and that's where this tutorial fits the bill. "Nothing wrong with clean grunge", that's what I say.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Thanks for that Gary, I put the G.P. Jpeg into Zoner Photo Studio, which is free by the way and has lots of useful tools in it and came up with this effect.

Stygg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	88551  

I'm going to go a little O/T here with a recommendation.

Xara can do a lot of bitmap editing, but it has no brush tool. ArtWeaver comes in a free and a commercial version, and even the freeware comes with effects and Painter-like "Nozzles" and natural media brushes. The results you get can go in and out of Xara quite well, and ArtWeaver is essentially Photoshop version 5 or so. The program can stand on its own and it's a little like what Xara is to vector graphics, ArtWeaver is to bitmaps, that is, the two programs can complement one another in skilled hands.

I've not used Zoner Studio, although I have their 3D blue lens/red lens program and it's very good at what it does.

@ Bob=if you read between my lines, you read correctly. There are a lot of times when nothing will do as a graphic except vectors.

My Best,

Gary