Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Gare's Grunge Art

I got your email <g>...

Yep, I have downloaded the trial of TypeTool. Playing around before dinner I took a copy of a Garamond-like font and made some small caps, moved some of the numbers around for old-style number and am still playing a bit to get use to the tool set.

Next I'll start scanning some pages, turn the scans into vector in Xara, do the export/import into TT and see how it goes. Once I have some progress, I'll begin a thread and maybe make a few posts on the progress.

Take care, Mike

Default Type Tools 3 Cheat Sheet

Agreed, Mike, certainly the tool set in Type Tool is different than Xara. It's much like Illustrator, though, expecially the need for three different tools to define a control point (also called a knot, an anchor, and a node, depending on the software company).

First, you can import AI files to a character window in TT, so you can indeed use Xara to build your characters (albeit one by one); you just export one character per Xara page as an Illustrator (*.AI) file, and make sure all your paths are combined because fonts can only have one path, although several joined subpaths are indeed allowed.

Me, I prefer to design in Xara—the tools are simply quicker, and more than make up for the time spent exporting. Accuracy and detail I gain by using Xara.

However—Here's a slightly annotated cheat sheet of Type Tools 3's tool set. It's big brother FontLab has a few more tools, but not $300 more!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tools.png 
Views:	137 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	88177

Remember to right-click when you use the pointer thing tool; TT is context sensitive and you got options with every tool. Be careful right-clicking directly over a control point, though. I think that's the shortcut gesture for deleting the underlying control point.

—g

Default Re: Type Tools 3 Cheat Sheet

I worked this one to death, and it still isn't very good.

Name:	LE Grunge 3.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	88426
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Looks very interesting Larry.

I noticed this month's Xara Outsider mistakenly attributed Bob's guest tutorial to me.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I liked some of the effects I was getting with this one. Well Bill, Bob did a very nice tutorial, too bad I struggled with it so hard. I have followed the tutorial as best I can, over and over but always I seem to have problems. The last attempt has been the closest to success, but, I started trying something extra to it and ran into significant problems. I got it done, then used the 3Dtool on it and added a shadow and my poor computer would grind away trying to do what I asked but it took forever. Actually it didn't really want to do what I asked so even trying to add a shadow was a problem, change the trans. of the shadow was a problem, changing colors was a problem, so I am wondering if I need a better graphics card. Would Xara benefit from a dedicated graphics card? This is getting off topic, sorry about that.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Larry unless things have changed over the past few years Xara uses it's own graphics routines and not those of any hardware. However my information may be badly outdated.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks Bill
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Default Re: March 2012 Xara Vector Grunge Effects by iamtheblues Guest Tips and Trick Tutoria

Here is what I was doing, it caused me so much aggravation that I gave it up before I got it to where I wanted it.

Name:	Bob grunge.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	88430
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Default Re: March 2012 Xara Vector Grunge Effects by iamtheblues Guest Tips and Trick Tutoria

Larry that looks like a very good start. Where were you wanting to take it?
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Larry—

This might be of some help in reaching your goal, but not exactly the steps Bob offered this month.

1.) Figure out some way to create large, chunky noise. Then blur if if you need to.

2. ) Have Xara auto-trace it.

3. Clean the results up to your taste.

This is essentially what the tutorial is teaching, and Bob has Taylored his steps to make it a goal-oriented series of procedures.

My Best,

Gary

If anyone would like me to post some images of noise, say the word. Here's one to begin with:

Name:	noise.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	88463

—g