Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default March 2012 Xara Vector Grunge Effects by iamtheblues Guest Tips and Trick Tutorial

TalkGraphics' own Bob Taylor AKA imtheblues has contributed this months Xara Xone Tips and Tricks. His tutorial Building a Xara Vector Grunge Effect is a keeper.

You can use this thread to show off your very best grungy, Xara vector artwork that this tutorial has inspired and be sure to thank Bob for his fine work.
    Barbara Bouton
    TalkGraphics Forum Administrator

The Xara Xone website developer. | TheBoutons.com

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: March 2012 Xara Vector Grunge Effects by iamtheblues Guest Tips and Trick Tutoria

A great tutorial Bob, well done. I found it inspiring!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Default Re: March 2012 Xara Vector Grunge Effects by iamtheblues Guest Tips and Trick Tutoria

Thanks, Bob!

Take care, Mike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grunge_rust.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	88056

Thanks Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mar2012-bob-taylor-tutorial.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	88058  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Default Gare's Grunge Art

I like what Mike did, and tried to get some serious grunge going on with a logo. Turns out I had about 800 pieces and this dragged the Extrude to a crawl!

Name:	G-runge.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	88063

—g

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: Gare's Grunge Art

I used a technique almost the same as this once to create an old west wanted poster, I used a bitmap transparency instead of the fractal plasma but other than that everything else I did pretty much the same. I did the poster as a prank gift for my husband I had him "wanted" for not doing household chores or some such silly thing

I used the same techniques with a few added steps to make a photo of him look as if it was part of the printed poster. I can't find my original file for that, but here is an example of some text grunged using a bit map transparency and Bob's basic technique.

Name:	wanted.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	88072

Here is an extruded version I tried to simplify the grungy text before extruding by removing all but the odd shape that I used to distress the edges further and doing a little subtracting. I had it down to only 7 shapes but those 7 shapes had thousands and thousands of nodes and that still slowed Xara to a crawl!

But the effect is kind of cool!

Name:	wanted2.png 
Views:	180 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	88074
    Last edited by angelize; 16 March 2012 at 09:44 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.