Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The March 2012 Tutorial Discussion

Well, after dealing with a rogue plug-in to the website, the March tutorial is finally up on The Xara Xone, and our guest tutorial from iamtheblues is in the Tips and Tricks section, and it's a goodie.

Oh, and I created a color palette as this month's Giveaway. Real easy to install, a nice collection, I feel.

I created the video on how to approach the building of a commercial logo because there had been some requests for such on tg.

Q and As can be posted here, and one thing I didn't mention in the tutorial is the use of color. You'll notice that I treated the example logos as though they're black and white, for a good reason. A good logo, one you can sell for a decent fee, has to work in a variety of different situations, and one of them is signage. You design a logo that can stand on its own using only one color, two at tops, and you've created something that can be engraved, printed in a black and white document, painted quickly on a sign, you name it. You can fancy it up with colors, but usually, you don't depend on colors to be the gist of a logo.

It's the design, the geometry, and how cleverly you can express a visual idea that a company can own in only a few pen strokes.

> > > KwikLink™ to the Tutorial < < <

My Best,

Gary
    Last edited by Gare; 15 March 2012 at 10:34 PM. Reason: added links and typo

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: The March 2012 Tutorial Discussion

I really enjoyed the video tutorial Gary. I love the intro bit with the flying logos and the bug spray! I did notice though that the audio and video seemed slightly out of sync on that part. After watching the video I decided to give my SunWings Logotype (see I paid attention! )a bit of a re design. I have kept the basic logotype which began as a font called Candy Script I cant remember where I got it from possibly DaFont or Font Squirrel. Any way I made some edits to both s's and re designed the cap W as a butterfly. Today I played around with the mold tool and placed the molded logotype over a stylized daisy.

I hope it's ok that I'm posting this, rather than actually "doing the tutorial".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SunWings.png 
Views:	322 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	88059
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    ...Oh, and I created a color palette as this month's Giveaway. Real easy to install, a nice collection, I feel...
    It was unclear on the Give Away page, but ACO palettes can simply be dragged and dropped into Xara and the colors are automatically added to the color line. You can also load multiple ACO files.

Take care, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    I did notice though that the audio and video seemed slightly out of sync on that part.
    That happened because I was almost literally filming thoughts as I wrote them, and actually much of me on camera is overdubbed. Couldn't be helped in the few days I had to produce what became a 12 minute video—hopefully the message came through, nevertheless.

Your logo looks good, I'm wondering if you could post a "before" and "after" watching the tute?

Mike, I'll add some text explaining how to use the color palette to that page, thanks for clarifying!

My Best,
    Gary
    Last edited by Barbara B; 17 March 2012 at 08:14 PM. Reason: typo

Great tutorial, Gary

The real stand-out is that your videos are very understandable, but also that they are immensely enjoyable to watch.

It made me think of being a kid and watching Saturday morning cartoons... I never wanted them to come to an end. Same with your videos!

James

Thanks you, James. It takes time, but it's fun and an education writing and then producing the monthly tutorials.

I said it once, and I'll say it again: Gary Priester as Der XoneMeister is a very tough act to follow.

My Best,

Gary

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Here for comparison is my logo before and after watching the video

Before After

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71.png 
Views:	298 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	88069 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SunWings.png 
Views:	294 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	88070
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Another excellent tutorial Gary, thanks!
    Huge amount of work in this broadcast.

I like your take on Dean's Yes Logo.

Have a good Week-end!

Marc

Thanks, Mark.

I think it's interesting that logos not only belong to corporations, products, and services now, but also to individuals...the moment you incorporate!

I confess that this month's tutorial was more of a survey, and then a peek over my shoulder, but it's my hope that the video will serve as a framework should any Xaraist land a gig designing a logo.

And I'm right here for critiques and moral support, you know!

My Best,

Gary

For an over the top logo, check out Googls today.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11