Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Error message when trying to upload site

Quote Originally Posted by Drwyd View Post
    All you need to do to publish your site is enter your FTP host address, FTP username, FTP password and your subfolder (/httpdocs) into the publish properties and then hit the publish icon

This info would have been sent to you by your hosting provider.
    Hey so i tried your suggestion this morning. in the publish properties i put it in like your typed it (/httpdocs) it says no such file or directory, then i did it httpdocs and error message said permission denied. So still stuck

You must check with your web host and have them setup your permissions. The permission denied message confirms you have found the correct folder on the host but they have not granted you permission to access the folder. Unfortunately many hosts simply add a folder but often forget to change the permissions.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Okay guys i got it published however the old site is still online. I called support for the host and they told me they had no control over it. He told me i had one of two choices. 1) put code into.htm file 2) rename home to index.html? would that mean i just rename the home page on the degign gallery to index?

In the page and layer gallery yes.

When a user types a domain name into a browser without a specific file (e.g. google.com instead of google.com/help.htm) the first file that is looked for is usually default.??? closely followed by index.??? home.??? welcome.??? where ??? equals one of htm, html, asp, php, shtml (and others)

okay thanks for your help. I had changed it and it is uploading and taking alot longer then the first time. So hopefully this works.

As far as newly published material not appearing. There can be two causes for this. 1) Everything published fine but you are seeing a cached version of your site (Press F5 of Ctrl F5 to refresh the page in the browser. 2) You named your first site index.html and then did not specify an extension and Xara published the files as index.htm. HTML takes precedence over HTM even if the HTM files are newer.

You will need to republish the site as HTML because the page codes and links will be looking for .html files.

If you just name your home page index.html (always lowercase) in Website Properties, then WD will automatically publish your home page as index.html and all your other documents will also be appended with .html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rename.png 
Views:	82 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	88073  

Well the site is up after having quite a few kinks and sitting on the phone for hour and a half with support. those sub directories were getting the best of me especially when it all transferred was just going into the previous site folders. So created a new folder and worked. However its up i forgot to put a visitor counter to log activity and see how much business we are attracting. i went through all the stuff in wd6 and couldnt find a visitor counter. Any body know where i could obtain one?

Thanks for all your help everyone

To find out how many people are visiting your site plus a whole lot more useful info I recommend Google Analytics and Webmaster Tools

Okay this is a filezilla question which maybe you guys can answer. Im trying to upload files to my website and they keep failing. keeps telling me incorrect password. The password hasnt changed. My site was up all weekend had a couple issues with pages not appearing right so i couldnt figure it out and got pissed and erased all my files this morning and am trying it over. Stupid idea i know. Any ideas on filezilla?