Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Unable to create text on a line

For some reason I am unable to create text to follow a curved path. For example, I created a simple curved line using the shape editor tool. After selecting the completed line I select the main text tool (the other text tool, fit text to curve, is grayed out and not selectable). However, wherever I insert the cursor along the curved line I still end up with a straight line of text. After much experimentation I still cannot figure it out. I know I am leaving out a simple step. Help! Thanks.

Default Re: Unable to create text on a line

Hi Gary, welcome to the forum.
    You need to type your text then select it and the line before attempting to fit text to curve.
    See the attached. (Click on the thumbnail to enlarge).
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	text.png 
Views:	101 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	88034  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

This is a known problem with residents of my neighbor state of Texas.

Welcome to TalkGraphics

Select the Text, select the line (Hold down the Shift key to select multiple object) then Fit Text to Curve will be enabled.

Alternately, you can create the path, and with the path selected, switch to the Text Tool (T), click on the path and start keying in your text. The text will begin on the path at the place where you click the Text Tool.

Thanks for the replies. As you both suggested I got everything working OK by selecting both objects, then hitting the Fit Text to Curve button. Can't believe I couldn't figure that out. It's always the simple things in life trip you up.