Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Info How to See Stereograms - A Discussion

I'm starting this topic specifically for questions related to and methods for viewing hidden image stereograms.

This is a result of questions posted in the Stop and Post forums which tend to hijack the other posts in that topic.

In this topic members can discuss methods they use to make stereograms "pop" and ask questions about how stereograms work.
    Last edited by gwpriester; 10 March 2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: moving explanatory thread to the top of the topic

Info How to see Stereograms - A discussion

Gorgeous stuff, Gary! Seems like you're experimentations with transparency are paying off. Is this following your Valentine's heart?

I especially like the second and third ones because of the use of bright colors. One remark, though, with regards to the first one. The sides of the main cube seems to be off a bit, or is that intentional?

Default Re: Stop & Post March 2012

Off in what way? They look fine to me but I may be missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    The perspective.

Bones - Excellent. You've toned down your avatar by degrees.

Paul - The iPad is the perfect medium for viewing stereograms because it is razor sharp and bright. We have three iPad stereogram apps (http://www.eyeball-3d.com/). Two are for sale and will set you back $1.99 each and a free app that explains how stereograms work and how to view them.

I have found that a lot of people who have never seen a stereogram have been able to do so on the iPad.

Gary, maybe itīs because of the screen reflection?
    I remember that some years ago i was able to see one that was framed behind glass. They told me to focus on my own reflection instead of focusing in the stereogram patterns. It worked, although i couldnīt see it anymore after that first time! I have to admit that i havenīt tried hard enough after that (i still have that stereogram).
    Here on my PC i canīt see your stereograms and i have tried hard enough! The lack of reflections on my screen may have to do with it. All i know is that i always end up focusing on the pattern detail (thatīs quite nice, but not exactly what i intended!). Anyway i will keep trying.

MEB, I still have a hard time seeing them, altough I do see some depth now, but not the desired image in it. And I know now why, not my colorblindness but my lazy eye might be the problem, although it has been treated(you know taping of one eye) it is still not as it should be.
    But I have no problem seing 3D in the theatre and with anaglyph, these seem to be a bit to hard for the 'not so lazy eye anymore' of mine.
    Maybe that could be your problem too?
    be aware, not to become a ware.

Question Re: Stop & Post March 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Gorgeous stuff, Gary! Seems like you're experimentations with transparency are paying off. Is this following your Valentine's heart?

I especially like the second and third ones because of the use of bright colors. One remark, though, with regards to the first one. The sides of the main cube seems to be off a bit, or is that intentional?
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    The perspective.
    Do you understand my question? By perspective I mean the vanishing point rule, if that's the correct expression for what I see as being a bit off.

Boy - Yes, that's perfectly understandable. I'll have to try some foreshortening, though I am not quite certain how to do this in a stereogram. But then surely...

what you say about this 67157d1313293666-art-art-pic.jpg
    Niamh-Allan - I think that is a rather long title for an image. Did you mean to post the image? Or link to the image? And I see you list your software as Xara User. Which product or products do you use?

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

The reflectivness of the ipad is most like exactly what helps many more to see the stereograms. I always had a hard time viewing them and often the only way I could see them was to go crosseyed! however one afternoon I was looking at one of Gary's stereograms on my laptop screen and the sun was coming in my window just right to cause a reflection and by looking into the reflection the stereogram popped right out! for a while after that I needed a reflection to help me see them but now I can see them without a reflection.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.