Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Newbie: Issue Index File

Thanks for the help...first time an have a great site...really pleased with XARA...Im having a bit of difficulty with publishing. Ive made sure my first page in the page & layers is "index", but when the files get to the cpanel the index file is named " Firstwebsiteabc.htm. When you try to reach it via web you just see all the filenames etc without the website loading. I go in and manually change that file to index index.htm, and the site loads...great. But the issue is then that with like 6 pages in the site, it clicks thru fine but when you try from any page to click on home (i.e. the index page), it wont go back to the home index page and I just see the nasty error screen from the webhost.

1) Why isnt the site publishing initially with with index as index, instead of labeling the index file with another name?

2) Since the site actually works now after ive manually change the index file name at the host, what do i need to do to get the nav bars back in sync?

Thanks a million...appreciate the help!

Default Re: Newbie: Issue Index File

I figured it out....before the publishing when it says you need to save the file before publishing, I was renaming to make sure I knew what version was being saved.It woirks fine now. What do people do to keep track if every version needs to be labeled index? Thanks again. Check out the site: www.intgro.com

The default filename for the first page of your site is "index.htm" because this is the name of the page that is opened when someone visits your site. But you can change any page file names in the Web Properties dialog, Page tab, "Page filename" field.
    John.

Just some obsevations.

The 'Growth' button, middle left of your home page is linked to Xara. The mouseover for that button and the Strategies button, below, don't appear to work properly.

You may want to change the Page Title.
    You can do this by opening Web Properties and giving the Page or your Website a title.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Thanks a lot to Rik and Covoxer- really appreciate the help. Rik- that issue disappeared on its own somehow in subsequent upload. Not sure how it got linked to xara- must havce been a xara link in the template somewhere?

Ive got another question...its simple but I cant work it out..Im trying to add a text box on my first page but its invisible on the preview and upload. All my other text boxes worked fine but this one is not. I know its an issue with layers, tried changing the lock etc but not getting it right...Can you tell me how to adjust this? Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kadip View Post
    ...Ive got another question...its simple but I cant work it out..Im trying to add a text box on my first page but its invisible on the preview and upload. All my other text boxes worked fine but this one is not. I know its an issue with layers, tried changing the lock etc but not getting it right...Can you tell me how to adjust this? Many thanks
    My guess is that you've probably got that text box in the 'MouseOver' layer. Try looking there and moving it into the 'MouseOff' layer.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    My guess is that you've probably got that text box in the 'MouseOver' layer. Try looking there and moving it into the 'MouseOff' layer.

That was it...Thanks Rik!

kadip - I like the site though it is a bit dark for my taste. If you make the text a little lighter it will be easier to read.

The Growth and Strategies buttons are not working properly. A small rectangle appears in each button on mouse over.

If you name your home page index.html (see attachment) then the home page will automatically save as index.html.

The Page Title as Rik points out is missing. Page Titles are very important as this is one of the things a search engine looks for. Make your page titles specific to each page and no more than 10-12 words.

Xara links buttons on most of their templates to xara.com. You, the user, can change them as needed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	page-settings.png 
Views:	91 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	87988