Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Windows 8 Good or bad for PC

Thank you Steve for the tips on setting up the shut down shortcut and tile.
    They work perfectly!
    That helps a lot !
    - Andy

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    More about Metro from M$

I threw up a little while watching that...

put my fingers all over a screen I am going to be using for work purposes - I don't think so...

so metro is not for me I guess...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

That's one of the things that annoys me about my Windows 7 smart phone... The screen is always dirty!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

well we are going to have to live with changes if we upgrade, unless MS has a sudden change of heart.. and from the point of view of future sales it probably makes sense....

anyhow I will try it..... don't have to use the fingers..

and for those who find it a bit of a 'shock' here is a useful link from the knowlegable and helpful Mr Bott:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/the-m...10?tag=nl.e539
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I installed the Windows 8 Consumer Preview today. Set it up as dual boot on one of my Windows 7 desktops. So far it seems to work very well on that old piece of hardware. There was an issue with the network card but I found the floppy disk with the driver and all is well.

For those people experimenting with the Preview you can download a .exe file from StarDock to put a Start Button on the Windows 8 taskbar.
    http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Installing the Visual Studio 11 beta on the system at this time.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Interesting that Stardock did this Bill. I guess they are anticipating the flood of complains from people who will feel lost without the Start button. But, it really isn't necessary. MS didn't remove it to piss people off. There's good reason for it not to be required.
    You see the reason there is no Start button on the taskbar in desktop mode is because the Metro screen IS the Start menu.

The first Metro screen has all your install program shorcuts and an the quick pick tiles for common tasks.
    All of these can be moved around or removed as you like.

To get to your programs list as you used to see in your Windws Vista and 7 Start menu, just left click the Metro desktop and click the 'Apps' icon on the bar that slides up from the bottom.

You can add a tile for any program that isn't on the Metro Start screen by right clicking the program's .exe in Windows explorer and choose 'Pin to start'..

To get to other stuff move the mouse cursor to the top-right edge and the 'charms' will fly out.
    Pressing the 'Settings' charm will give you other computer settings (including the shutown button which gives you the familiar shutdown options).

When you are in normal Windows desktop mode, tap the Start key on your keyboard to jump back to the Metro Start screen.
    The Start key also acts as a jump-back key. For example if you are viewing your installed apps and programs screen in Metro, hitting the Start key will jump back to the Metro Start screen, hit it again will take you to the normal Windows desktop then back to Metro if you tap it again.

I'm growing quite accustomed to the Metro UI and all the other changes, they seem quite intuitive, especally to smart phones users, which is the point.
    Also, I have installed many of my regular programs on Windows 8 including Xara Web Designer and Designer pro without any problems.

W8 CP boots very fast even on the older hardware (with a slow 5400 IDE 80GB hdd).

I think anyone curious about it should at least try it for a while to get used to it, the consumer preview expires in January 2013, by which time it will have been released a few months.
    Microsoft are betting their entire Operating System business on Windows 8, I don't think they are doing so on a whim. They have done their market research and must be pretty confident that this is the future.
    So far, it's a pretty slick OS.

So give it a go I say

It is interesting about StarDock. I haven't spent much time with Windows 8 yet but as you say the start button is not necessary. I have been able to get around and find all the things I have needed so far.

I just got back home so starting to explore Visual Studio 11 beta and find out what it offers for creating metro style apps.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

This is quite informative post for me. As i haven't any idea and haven't read anything about Windows 8. Thanks!

Windows 8 offers some added information about the fonts installed by the OS. The forum software has reduced the size of my .png and made it a .jpg so you may not be able to see the details. Before installing Xara Xtreme 5 there were only 144 fonts installed by Windows 8.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Win8-Fonts.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	87998  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update