Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Windows 8 Good or bad for PC

Hi,
    Just curious about Windows 8 due out. Is it more for touch screen monitors and tablets? Is windows 7 Premium (64Bit system Better?
    Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Default Re: Windows 8 Good or bad for PC

I'm not sure it is to be released until the fall, Jim. But I am sure some of the members who have been beta testing will have a better idea.

Windows 8 includes both UI's
    The standard Explorer style you are used to and the new Metro UI for touch devices, smartphones, tablets/slates etc.

You can switch between the two.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I am looking at perhaps later this spring investing in a new laptop would I be better off waiting until fall and getting one with Windows 8? What advantages would windows 8 give me?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    ... What advantages would windows 8 give me?
    1 more than 7.

Sorry Frances. I just couldn't resist that one.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Groooaaann...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

I have installed the Windows 8 consumer preview version on my Desktop computer, and I can't say I totally love it.
    It was designed for use in a tablet so the experience on a desktop isn't great. In a word I would call it awkward.
    Perhaps the biggest shortcoming is the lack of a start button. So accessing your programs has to be done via a Metro interface icon or a desktop shortcut.
    So If you thought your desktop was cluttered before, be prepared for more chaos in Windows 8 !

Several programs seemed to disappear entirely after installation until I drilled down to the program folder and started the program as Administrator. ( My computer > local disk C > Programs > folder for program you are looking for > locate the program's executable program icon, right click on it and choose "Run as Administrator". ) You will then get a window that asks if it is OK to let this program make changes to your computer. Click on the "OK" button, and the program will finish installing. Hopefully it will create program icons. If not you will have to make them yourself ( as in creating shortcuts ).

If you stop using your computer for a while it will put itself to sleep. Useful for quick restarts. However, if you want to shut it all the way down there is no easily accessible button, you have to use "Control-Alt-delete", then sign out, then click on the power icon in the lower right hand corner, then click "Shut down". ( at least that is the only way I've found so far )

Does this sound "Better" than what you are using now? I don't think so !

- Andy

Quote Originally Posted by AndFarr View Post
    However, if you want to shut it all the way down there is no easily accessible button, you have to use "Control-Alt-delete", then sign out, then click on the power icon in the lower right hand corner, then click "Shut down". ( at least that is the only way I've found so far )
    You can always switch over to Desktop mode and press alt+F4 to receive your shutdown options.
    But you can also create actual shutdown tiles that accomplish the same effect in Metro.

Within Desktop mode, right-click on the desktop and create a new shortcut.
    For it’s “location”, you’ll want to type in the following: shutdown.exe -s -t 00.
    Feel free to name the shortcut whatever you want.
    Once it’s on your desktop, fire up Windows Explorer and move the shortcut to your C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs directory.
    Jump back to your Metro interface and you’ll see your Shutdown button appear as a brand-new tile.
    Click once, and off goes your system!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xlarge.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	87913

More about Metro from M$

To be fair I should say again that this operating system is designed for Tablet computers, not laptops or desktops.

I assume the experience would be much better on a tablet.

Ultimately I expect they will make different flavors of Windows 8 , one for each of the different platforms.

- Andy

Actually no, the OS is designed for all platforms (as mentioned in the M$ video). You can switch modes. See post #3
    Windows 8 Consumer Preview works great on the same hardware that powers Windows 7

The Windows 8 Consumer Preview is designed to be used on all PC types for all consumers to try and then give feedback.

Requirements:
    Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster

RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)

Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device or higher

To use touch, you need a tablet or monitor that supports multitouch