Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Windows 8 Good or bad for PC

Quote Originally Posted by AndFarr View Post
    To be fair I should say again that this operating system is designed for Tablet computers, not laptops or desktops.
    This is completely untrue. Win8 works equally well on a desktop or touch-enabled computer/tablet. The desktop environment is about as different from Win7 as Win7 was from WinXP. i.e. mostly the same. The only time you have to deal with the touch-friendly side of things is with the new Start Screen, which has replaced the horrible Start Menu from Win7. For me, that happens about once a week so there is absolutely no reason to be put off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    For those people experimenting with the Preview you can download a .exe file from StarDock to put a Start Button on the Windows 8 taskbar.
    http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/
    I would not recommend trying Start8 until you have spent some time using the standard Start Screen. I tried it out and it ruined the experience. I uninstalled it after a few hours.

Anyway, I installed the Developer Preview on a netbook last year and it was transformative - the machine went from the typical clunky netbook experience to being a useful computer. I found myself looking for excuses to use it instead of my regular machine, rather than kicking myself for having wasted money on it. So I jumped at the Consumer Preview and installed it over Win7 on my primary machine. The process was smooth and it kept all my settings from Win7, right down to the smallest detail. All my hardware is still working, no problems with device drivers, and all my software continues to work well, too. I spent 10 minutes or so customising the Start Screen, exactly as I had done with the Win7 Start Menu when I bought the machine. I also created the custom shutdown and restart icons and put them on my desktop and Start Screen.

From that point on it has been an overwhelmingly positive experience for me. Most of it is as close to Win7 as Win7 is to WinXP, so it is not the entire new interface that you might think it is. Once you are in the desktop, the only hint that it is not Win7 is the missing Start button. But once you start to work with it, you realise that there are a lot of changes and that they are all for the better. Because it kept all my desktop shortcuts and applications pinned to the Taskbar, I almost never have to use the Start Screen which makes it easy to forget that it is a new OS. But I find myself looking for excuses to go and use some of the Metro apps just for the hell of it. The Reader app, for example, is an excellent alternative to Adobe Reader. It is very basic but it lets you read PDFs without any clutter. I like it. I like the email app too, it is much better than checking Hotmail in my browser. IE 10 on the Metro side is less successful but the full desktop version is also available and it works as you'd expect (although I use Firefox).

I'd recommend it wholeheartedly to anyone, you just need to go into it with an open mind and be willing to embrace change. After just a few days you will have to drag me kicking and screaming back to Win7.
    Last edited by BONES; 16 March 2012 at 03:23 AM.
    Asus Zenbook Duo, 12th Gen Core i7, 16Gb RAM, Windows 11 (fully updated). bandcamp.novakill.com

Quote Originally Posted by BONES View Post
    This is completely untrue. Win8 works equally well on a desktop or touch-enabled computer/tablet. The desktop environment is about as different from Win7 as Win7 was from WinXP. i.e. mostly the same. The only time you have to deal with the touch-friendly side of things is with the new Start Screen, which has replaced the horrible Start Menu from Win7. For me, that happens about once a week so there is absolutely no reason to be put off.
    Actually, it is not completely untrue, it is partially untrue. Yes it works well enough on either platform but it is clunky anyways, but one needs to remember it is a beta and bound to change for the better when it gets released.

Just so you know my feeling on the new OS, I removed it from my spare drive after playing with it for a few weeks but decided it's not an OS that I would use unless forced to. It may be to my own personal preferences of not wanting to really dig into a new OS.

Another thing to remember, it's really 2 OS's in one so it will be more bulky in some ways. You can't have extra guis without that.

Anyway, would I recommend this OS? It's not for me but it is workable so I think it does get a pass.....
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11

Quote Originally Posted by Karateed View Post
    Yes it works well enough on either platform but it is clunky anyways, but one needs to remember it is a beta and bound to change for the better when it gets released.
    In what way clunky Ed? Performance?
    I find it works faster and smoother on hardware which made Vista seem like it didn't want to get out of bed in the morning.
    As for the two UIs being two OSes, not really. Metro and Aero UIs belong to the one OS, the Metro UI is really the new Start menu which has been changed to be mobile and touch device friendly.
    Switching between the two is smooth and seamless by tapping the WinKey (Start key) on your keyboard.
    When working in Aero, if it weren't for the ribbon bar in Explorer, you'd hardly know you weren't working in Windows7.

The OS has (according to engadget) recently been released in Taiwan on some HTC phones.

I agree with sledger, Windows 8 runs faster on an old machine that I also have Windows 7 installed. If you don't want the full ribbon bar on Windows Explorer you can minimize the ribbon and Explorer looks very much like Windows 7.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I like the ribbon bar

It is growing on me so it is open most of the time.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

The main addition to the desktop environment in Windows 8 is the task bar now exists on multiple monitors, and the icons on the task bar on each monitor match up with the windows that are positioned on each monitor. I think that made sense. Apart from that, the missing Start Button and mandatory updates (in America), I think it's a lot like Windows 7 which is a good thing.

Window 8 has some unique features such as "kill switch", "Tile based desktop start screen", "Touch panel for touch screen : I-pad's and phones".
    All these features are unique and new in Window 8.
    As window 8 is specially designed for I-pad's and window phones it doesn't means that window 8 will not provide[edit: link removed] and can not be use on PC's and Laptops.
    Window 8 has both Graphical user interface to use and it can use on both I-pad's and PC's as well.
    Last edited by handrawn; 10 April 2012 at 07:44 PM. Reason: remove spam link

As window 8 is specially designed for I-pad's

I think Apple might have words to say about that!

I think you mean Tablets.

I guess, it's a bit like calling all vacum cleaners "Hoovers".