Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I hope that didn't alarm you [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

This can be a real silly question on the surface, but given the fact you guys make such geat software, I was wondering how hard it could be to incorporate a dxf or 3d mesh export for use in other 3d software in your next version. Or even a plugin for X3D that does this.

Or can you explain in layman's terms, how the objects get rendered so quickly and nicely within X3D. I wouldn't mind using Xara 3d as a metafile to mesh filter for some Bryce objects.

Or am I living in Lotus land?

Regards, Wayne

I hope that didn't alarm you [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

This can be a real silly question on the surface, but given the fact you guys make such geat software, I was wondering how hard it could be to incorporate a dxf or 3d mesh export for use in other 3d software in your next version. Or even a plugin for X3D that does this.

Or can you explain in layman's terms, how the objects get rendered so quickly and nicely within X3D. I wouldn't mind using Xara 3d as a metafile to mesh filter for some Bryce objects.

Or am I living in Lotus land?

Regards, Wayne

.... gets 5 raspberry answer.

Yes, Lochiel apparently "is" Lotus land...

I don't know that answer to the first part but I've passed it onto our lead developer.
    In answer to the speed question: a lot of very clever software, optimized for Windows. We have a common module which was specially written for the fastest possible display of graphics on-screen. (Which is one reason we've never produced a Mac version.)
    We at Xara don't monitor these forums on a regular basis. This is why you haven't previously had a reply. To contact us, the best way is directly on support@xara.com for support issues and xara3dsuggest@xara.com for product suggestions.

Thanks for the reply ... I don't mean to resort to cheeky sarcasm to get a reply as I really don't mean to be. Just coming here today, and in hindsight ... it does look bad, so sorry, no malice intended at all.

I have since found what I've been looking for and it's called "Elefont". For those who have Bryce and have not heard of it, check it out here.

Elefont

It's free to use ... while you're at it, check out "spiralizer" too, it's really cool. It creates spirals (duhh ...) out of font characters, it pretty neat really.

Below are examples of what elefont can do ... it exports words as .dxf for import into Bryce. This is what I was talking about for X3D. I was thinking perhaps an optional export for text in 3ds or .dxf as this program does.

Ok, having said that ... and if that (mesh export thing) was out of the question ... consider this: Using Bryce's method for rendering "bump" on surfaces when light is cast ... can Xara develop a way of utilizing a texture "alpha" channel to do something similar? What I mean is a cross between Photoshop's ability to use a channel in their "lighting effects" filter to create relief ... and incorporate it into X3D's lighting set up. For example, at the moment there are 4 lights (3 light pins and a shadow pin). It would be cool if there was a feature to turn "bump" ON and OFF. The bump being the grayscale (bumpmap) info of the texture used on the object. The light pins within X3D can be used to "affect" the bumpiness. Excuse my ignorance of technical jargon here.

The second image was done in X3D with a texture I rasterized in Bryce ... No comparison, I know.

Thanks again ... Wayne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hammeredmetal.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	8150