Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

xdp6 Design An Advertisement With Xara!

This thread is going to be sort of like a Challenge but I'm posting this here in the Xara Graphics Chat because I am restricting this to Xara software only. The purpose here is to get more members participating in different areas of the forum and to showcase a professional use for Xara software.

I have prepared and attached a logo for a fictional client, you will find the copy in the brief below, the client has asked for a proof and once enough proofs have been submitted I may as a real client often does, throw changes at you!
    Your "proof" can be a png or jpeg posted in this thread. This will be a newspaper ad and it will be in grayscale.

The Client
    Our fictional client is the 5 Diamond Variety Store. It is a small local business that carries a bit of everything, owned and operated by Mr Diamond.

The Brief

The Ad will run in a local weekly newspaper. The ad will be 500 pixels by 500 pixels and will be in grayscale. Mr diamond has provided you with a logo he wants you to use (see attached .xar file) There is a tag line that needs to appear beneath the logo that should read:"Your One Stop Family Store"

Mr Diamond also wants the following copy: "Casual Clothing, Housewares, Appliances, Outdoor & Garden Supplies, Sundries
    There are 3 "Deals of the Week!" to be featured in the ad : Printed Tshirts 100% Cotton assorted styles while quantities last 19.99 each, Sunglasses Many styles to choose from 14.99 each, assorted potted perennials, 1litre pots 12.99 each Mr Diamond would like some simple illustrations to go with each deal but keep in mind you are working in grayscale and this ad needs to look good for a newspaper ad (think ink on newsprint!)
    Store Hours 9am to 5pm Mon to Thurs. 9am to 9pm Fri and Sat 10am to 4pm Sun
    Phone number ( use x's as filler text)
    Address line:Unit#1 - 1234 Anywhere Place, AnyTown, AnyState (or you can use the word Province in place of state if you wish)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5diamond_logo.png 
Views:	119 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	87834

5diamond_logo.xar

Have fun and show the world what Xara can do!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Default Re: Design An Advertisement With Xara!

excellent idea!
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

What is the budget?

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    What is the budget?
    And has he paid a deposit ?

Let's take the budget out of the equation here. The idea is to show how Xara can be used in a real world professional situation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |

you can never take budgets out of any real world professional situation......
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I am not setting a budget. You just get to design the ad and deal with any changes that Mr Diamond may ask for.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

mr diamond is very rich, assume the budget is unlimited, you have carte blanche, now design something!
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Why, oh why couldn't I have met Mr. Diamond with his 'unlimited budget' when I had a retail ad agency???

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    Let's take the budget out of the equation here. The idea is to show how Xara can be used in a real world professional situation.
    Key words are "professional situation."

In a professional situation, budget isn't the only consideration.

My next question would have been, what size ad? 1/8, 1/4, half or full page--or other dimension of placement in the newspaper.

Take care, Mike