Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Exclamation Before you download an image from the web...

Recently, an image was downloaded from another Xara forum site and posted here on TalkGraphics.

I think the intention of the member who posted the image was to illustrate a question by another member who posted his question in both forums.

To the best of my knowledge, the member did not ask permission to download the image. He just downloaded it from the other site and posted it here to better illustrate the member's question. And to be honest, I am sure he never even thought that this might not be OK.

So, why is this wrong?

It's wrong just as taking something that does not belong to you is wrong. Your cell phone, your sun glasses, your car, your credit card, your identity. While the value of an image posted on the web may not be as great as these items in monetary terms, the image belongs to someone else. Before you download any image that is not your own, ask first. It's not only polite, it's the right thing to do.

Default Re: Before you download an image from the web...

This thread was accidentally locked. It is now unlocked and we welcome your comments and questions.

And yes, the image in question was downloaded from the Xara Users forum. And yes, for whatever reason, the TG member who downloaded the image did not ask permission. I was going to recommend the firing squad but as this is his first offense, maybe just a caution will do.

Hence this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    ... I was going to recommend the firing squad...
    Perhaps a life sentence with eyeballs forced to stare at stereograms would be more apropos. No parole, of course...

Perhaps a life sentence with eyeballs forced to stare at stereograms would be more apropos. No parole, of course...
    Arrrrrrg. How terrible.

Hello Gary,

I agree with you, but only half...

Let me explain.

Yes, I think that if you are going to use (for whatever reason) someone else's graphics (publicly), then you of course should have permission first.

In that we are in complete agreement and that is the thrust of your post.

What I don't think is quite right is to compare this to stealing someone's cell phone or their car, etc. If someone steals your cell phone or your car, then you no longer have any usage of them, you are deprived. As far as I know, when someone cross-posted the other person's graphic here, it didn't suddenly disappear out of the original post. The original poster was not deprived of the usage of his graphic by the other person's sharing.

I found your conclusion correct, but your analogy flawed, that's all.

Peace

James

as I understand it, under english [not scottish] common law you cannot steal something if you can prove you intended to give it back unharmed and had a legitimate 'need' to make use of it.... there are exceptions of course eg cash
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Another exception is Intellectual Property.
    However, there was no obvious copyright infringement in the accident in question (unless copyright owner disagree). The problem is actually more about not following netiquette. Which is not prohibited, just rude.
    So no firing squad or any legal action can follow.
    John.

Covoxer,

Re: "So no firing squad or any legal action can follow."

You don't know U.S. lawyers! Legal action can follow anything. Absurdity does not prevent it.

Buy hot coffee... spill it in your lap through your own negligence and then try to sue the person that had the nerve to give you hot coffee. Sounds like a normal day in the U.S. legal system.

Peace

James

What I don't think is quite right is to compare this to stealing someone's cell phone or their car, etc. If someone steals your cell phone or your car, then you no longer have any usage of them, you are deprived. As far as I know, when someone cross-posted the other person's graphic here, it didn't suddenly disappear out of the original post. The original poster was not deprived of the usage of his graphic by the other person's sharing.

I found your conclusion correct, but your analogy flawed, that's all.
    Hyperbole. OK.

But you get the point. I frequently Google "stereograms" and find many of my stereograms, with my copyright line on the images, posted on other people's websites and stereogram galleries.

My rule of thumb is this is OK as long as the person is not making a profit from my images (via click through ads) or has not posted every images I ever created. Or as long as the person posting the images does not imply (and this has happened) that they were the creator of the images.

I do ask the person posting the images to please add an HTML copyright line to the image and a link to my website. Plus the words, image used by permission of the author.

ODdOnLifeItself, I think I know what you mean. Weird Al put it nicely here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeXQBHLIPcw
    John.