Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Layer Gallery object names

Sorry dudes, a rant first: the search capabilities of this site do NOT work. I get 2300+ records returned no matter what terms I'm searching for; all of which are unrelated to my query.. Already posted this issue in the correct forum to get fixed but no response yet.

So I'm sure these have been asked before but since the search on this site is useless here goes some duplication:
    NOTES: Currently using Photo & Graphic Designer 6 and I'm used to Photoshop CS5. I'm coming from a website design perspective on the below questions. I used to do all my designs in Photoshop but I've had enough with raster based image editing and its inflexibilities and am trying to fully move the majority of my work over to vector based imaging.

1) How do you rename objects in the Layer Gallery? I can name the layer, but I don't see any option to name the objects. I know there is a "names" feature which I still don't get after seeing the info in the help system but that's not what I'm talking about. I'd like to control the name of objects as they appear in the layer gallery like I do in Photoshop. Sure, xara can auto-name groups, contours, shadows and whatever else it wants but I want to name the primary objects myself. "Ellipse" and "Shape" mean nothing to me. Any way to do this?

2) What keyboard + mouse click operation allows me to click an object in the viewport and have it automatically scrolled to and selected in the Layer Gallery? In photoshop I use ctrl + left click.

3) Why can't I create a layer beneath another layer?
    Last edited by degree451; 01 March 2012 at 06:29 PM.

Default Re: Layer Gallery object names

The infamous vBulletin search is known to be pathetic. All forums based on the vBulletin software have the same problem with the search feature.

Best way to search these forums is use google and specify the site.

For an example if you wanted to search for layer gallery type in that text but also type in this site:www.talkgraphics.com
    This will return links to post on this site that mention the layer gallery.

As for your questions:

1. You cannot rename the objects in the Layer Gallery. To name an object select it with the Selector Tool in the work area and then click the yellow ticket icon on the infobar. A dialog will open where you can type in a name for the object. To rename the object open the Names Gallery.

2.Unfortunately there is not way I know to have the Page & Layer Gallery to scroll to the selected shape.

3. The Page & Layer Gallery automatically add a new layer on top but you can drag and drop the layer to a new position with the Gallery.
    Last edited by Soquili; 01 March 2012 at 06:55 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Firstly. No one here is responsible for the search function on this site so moaning about it can achieve nothing I'm afraid.
    You can't, so far as I know, rename individual objects in the layer gallery. If the object is a named object you can right click and go to names.
    I don't know what you mean about object in the view port and scrolling to them. If you click on an object in the layer gallery it highlights it in the drawing and visa-versa.
    You can create a layer beneath another layer. Simply create a layer and drag it to the position in the layer stack you want it to be in.
    Hope this helps.
    Derek
    I see Bill beat me too it as usual.

vector based editing has a lot of inflexibilities too... just in different ways.....

you would do well to step back from the photoshop way of doing things - xara layers do not equate directly to photoshop layers
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks Soquili

I'd just like to add one note on the second point. The others have already been answered.

(2) There is no direct keyboard + mouse click operation, but you could assign a key shortcut to the "Locate selection"-command in the "Customise key shortcuts"-dialog. Pressing this hot key will scroll (locate) to the selected object in the P&L Gallery.

@kamrio: The OP is using 'Photo & Graphic Designer 6'. I believe customised key shortcuts are only available in Pro versions of Designer.
    But this is a good tip for those of us who are using the Pro version