Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Lightbulb Long Name Logo Design Help with a challenge....

Hello, Talkgraphic!!!

I was wondering if any designers on here have come across a client that needs a long name logo design. The Challenge I have is that they chose a business name as a acronyme that has a stong meaning else where then the business they actually do. For example, a client chooses POKER as a business name, all the letters of the words would be a service they offer, but their business has nothing to do with Poker or card playing. POKER could stand for something like

Promoting, Organising, Kiosk, Events & Recreation. A fictional company in this case that sells a service in Helping companies restructure or restore clientele. You obviously do not want to go around and say my company name is Promoting, Organising, Kiosks.... but going around saying, Poker restructuring firm or something along those lines.

IBM, HP, NHL does this, but doesn't really have much meaning else where, so I could see why it would work.

I have this challenge or assignment by a different company, a friend of mine, with a different business concept, but sort of the same idea, POKER is a real game that is very popular, and if you saw poker on a brochure or a card, you would not associate it to a business outside of the game of poker.

I am absolutely stumped for ideas at the present moment.

Problem is they have registered the business under this name, have done so without really thinking about it, and now seeking a solution.

Any ideas or help would be great, Thank you in advance.

Marcel.

Default Re: Long Name Logo Design Help with a challenge....

Could you possibly on a second line in a smaller font size spell out the service with the first letter of each word capitilized.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Hi Wizard509,

Thank you for your reply.

I dont want to put my clients specific logo information as I dont think its fair to have designers do my work for me by creating or showing me designs. But its very simular to something like this:

Promoting
    Organising
    Kiosks
    Events
    Recreation

Using the first letter of each of these words, you spell out POKER. How ever the business has nothing to do about poker or card playing. This example is a business that helps a company restore clients.

What I would like are ideas, or suggestions to create logos with really long names, that still look professional and are effective as a logo. This is something I have never really had to do before. The problem of course is the fact that if my logo spells POKER, people may automatically assume some sort of poker club or gambling business.

Perhaps im not properly understanding your question.

Looks to me like you understand, I was just throwing something out as an idea just in case.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I think you're getting to hung up on the card game just think of it as a name of a company and design a logo not using any thing like Clubs or Hearts. Just think of the designer who had to do UPS, Shell and many other examples. If your job is to design an outdoor event company so you might think to use a green colour and go on that.
    Design is thinking made visual.

I think you should try to marry the business with poker, no matter how far apart the two seem to be. It should take a bit of brainstorming and headaches, but there's always a way to work around problems like these. It's just a matter of inspiration.