Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Can Import Corel X5 Document. Is this possible?

Hi All,

The help files suggest I should be able to import a .cdr file but when I try the message I get is "There was some error while importing XPS document. Possible wrong format". Listed under "Other Imported Formats" is .CDR CorelDRAW (3,4 & 5). The file I have is from version 5. Has anyone been able to import Corel files? Not a big deal but it would be nice is there is a solution.

Thanks,
    Steve

Default Re: Can Import Corel X5 Document. Is this possible?

Hi Steve,

I have CorelDraw X4 and find that using the .cmx or .pdf format is the best option to use if I save to disk.

Copy to clipboard within CorelDraw followed by paste from clipboard in Xara Xtreme or newer as .cmx will also work.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi Steve,

A CDR from CoreDraw version 5 isn't the same as CDR from CorelDraw X5.

I import CDR files from my rather large amount of working files I have stored as needed. Even at being able to import up to version 5, I still use InkScape as I also have a lot of CDR files from CorelDraw version 8. InkScape is free (if not frustrating for me to use).

The group that create's its CDR import routine is working on a new version that will support X5 files, but I wouldn't hold my breath. They could be done any day, or any year. It's an OpenSource project and so the speed at which they progress is a large variable.

If you still have X5 installed, I think you can export back to a CMX file that might open in XDP or perhaps at least InkScape.

Take care, Mike

I don't have it installed but thanks for the tips. My friend has X5 so I'll see if he can covert the files.

Thanks!

If they're following the same numbering scheme for CorelDraw as for Paint Shop Pro, X5 is actually version 15. You can always try exporting to PDF and bringing that into Xara.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

If it is plain vectors with no fancy effects like complex fills or transparencies do what Bill suggested copy onto clipboard and paste them in. It is so easy to do! Where does Inkscape come into this thread?
    Design is thinking made visual.

InkScape can open and resave out CDR files up to version 8. CorelDraw is not installed on the OP's system.

I have rather simple CDR files. I cannot copy and paste with consistent success. I personally don't want to have a crap-shoot as to when it will or will not work as that is a time-waster. So for my CDR files up to CDR8, I use InkScape as a file converter. Fear not.

Mike