Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Problem with text alignment..........

I've encountered a problem with text alignment. When I'm actually adding the text everything appears fine but then when I preview the site some words are either incomplete or even contain overlapping letters??? Why would this happen and how can I fix it??

The problems occur in the same spots regardless of what I write and its only apparent once it's previewed. Is there something 'underneath' the text that is causing this to happen?

Thanks for your help

Default Re: Problem with text alignment..........

Hi Peachy

Check your aspect ratio. You may have inadvertently re-sized your text with the selector rather than the text tool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ratio.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	7.2 KB 
ID:	87587  

Unfortunately the text aspect input box is not available in Web Designer Premium (this is the version shown in the OP's profile), neither do E/W sizing handles appear on text areas, so the text aspect ratio for Web Designer is always 100% (by design).
    There are other reasons for this text phenomenon, such as typing directly on the page and using hard returns together with non browser standard font sizes and non-websafe fonts or other conditions. Speculation aside, I'd suggest Peachy attaches their xara file to their next post for inspection.

The only way to get text to display on a website exactly as it does in Xara is to group it, either with another object, or with itself, thus forcing it to be exported as an image. But neither search engines not screen readers can read images.

The other way to get text to display correctly but not necessarily exactly as shown in Xara is to use a web-safe font. You can't go wrong if you restrict yourself to this list:
    • Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    • Arial Black, Gadget, sans-serif;
    • Bookman Old Style, serif;
    • Comic Sans MS, cursive;
    • Courier, monospace;
    • Courier New, Courier, monospace;
    • Garamond, serif;
    • Georgia, serif;
    • Impact, Charcoal, sans-serif;
    • Lucida Console, Monaco, monospace;
    • Lucida Sans Unicode, Lucida Grande, s
    • MS Sans Serif, Geneva, sans-serif;
    • MS Serif, New York, sans-serif;
    • Palatino Linotype, Book Antiqua, Pala
    • Symbol, sans-serif;
    • Tahoma, Geneva, sans-serif;
    • Times New Roman, Times, serif;
    • Trebuchet MS, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    • Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;
    • Webdings, sans-serif;
    • Wingdings, Zapf Dingbats, sans-serif;

And finally only use a font size that is a whole number (10, 12, 14, 18, 24 etc.) with no aspect ratio.

Sometimes, over-zealous kerning or tracking will also upset the display of text so use it wisely.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    Sometimes, over-zealous kerning or tracking will also upset the display of text so use it wisely.
    Along with text aspect ratio, these features are also not available in Web Designer / Premium, for this very reason.