Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Dumbledore

Default Dumbledore

I found a free font that I quite like and pm'd Frances about. It's dumbledor and comes in a wide variety of flavors. Know anything about that one Gare?
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Default Re: List your favorite fonts and why!

Can you post a specimen, Wizard? I mean an example, not a small paper cup you've filled...

"dumbledor" can't be a trademark name as it belongs to J. Rawlings, so I'm suspecting it might be (understand I've not even seen it) a variation on "Charlemagne", the typeface that is associated with the titles of many of Rawlings' Harry Potter books.

Again, you can't go by font names because they don't always represent the font, so much as they avoid name trademarks.

Show me an example...

-g-

Larry is the font you are talking about the one at this dafont.com link?
    http://www.dafont.com/dumbledor.font
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I know this is off topic but that remark about the paper cup just cracked me up!

Ahem now to get back to the subject I was thinking about a place or a special thread for Free fonts from around the web where members can post links to free fonts they have found on the web.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Okay, research anyone can perform is that "dumbledor" is a Gem Font, and GemFonts is apparently run by one person, Graham Meade. Its date of creation is ambiguous: there's a 2005 mark internally on the font, but another on in the late 1990s. I could be wrong, but I think there was a DTP and drawing program sold by a U.K. company back in 1993 or so that offered GEM Fonts with the programs.

The design of the characters as far as I can tell is completely original, unlike the name of the typeface family . It's possible that the font was created with CorelDRAW, because the relative size of the font is 2048 units instead of 1000, the standard for digital typefaces.

The outlines of the characters are not "clean", there are superfluous nodes along the paths, which suggests that Mr. Meade scanned a hand drawing and then auto-traced his characters.

There are no kerning pairs in the typeface family, and the typefaces are locked so that they can be viewed and printed, but not edited in any way. Which also means you cannot use it in a PDF document unless you convert everything to shapes first. Which sort of defeats the PDF's search capability.

My point is not to be negative and dump on dumbledor, but instead just to let Wizard know what's what with the fonts. They're original, and if push came to shove, they're worth the price (free). I'm reminded of Dieter Steffmann's work, a very prolific font creator who was employed professionally by a German foundry for a while; you can check out his somewhat massive repository of free typefaces at:

Dieter Steffmann's font collection

Browser beware: it's a very uneven collection. You might spend a lot of time previewing the fonts and only coming up with one or two you like or can be used in your work!

My Best,

Gary

Yes Bill that is the one.
    Frances that sounds good to me
    Gare thanks for the info and research you did on that. The Dieter Steffmann's font collection is one I have looked at before and it's very good but you are correct you can spend way too much time looking through them.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.