Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Blog questions

Default Blog questions

I went through the archives and the most recent post was 2009 on this subject. I am asking since the templates in Xara WD7 Pro all have a "Blog" tab for navigation. I changed the content and tab on my last site but this customer wants a blog. So! What is everyone doing? placeholder with iFrame? Does Xara have a product that goes in the blog page? Which blog seems to fit the best? Wordpress is popular and so is Blogger, but from past experience nothing "just works" and I would like to start out the best possible.
    philphoto

Default Re: Blog questions

hi well i know blogger works fine in an iframe but what i have done in the past is to install say wordpress into a folder on the domain called blog then just link to it www.yourdomain.com/blog then on the wordpress homepage at the top of the sidebar put a link back to the homepage of yourdomain.com or even put links to all your pages on yourdomain.com

worked for me - cheerz

Did you install Wordpress on the server and keep the resources in the website folder?

Never worked with Wordpress, so this is a first for me. Worked with Blogger but the client does not like that blog set.

philphoto

i installed everything in a folder called blog on the server - not quite sure what you mean by resources ?? - to open the wordpress homepage it would be www.your-domain.com/blog and to get to the admin page it would be www.your-domain.com/blog/wp-admin - then in wordpress i just put a link back to the main site http://www.your-domain.com

cheerz

it was a while ago when i did it so hope it still works :-)

I've been recommended Nabble in the past.

Jim

From my earlier post: It is very simple to embed a Blogger Blog, ( not WordPress page) just create a placeholder and enter this HTML code:
    <div align="left"><iframe src=http://thisdomainname.blogspot.com/ width="950" height="610"></iframe></div>
    Obviously swap out the name of the blog, change the width and height until you see it fits OK and you are done.
    Someone will tell you that Xara resizes to the placeholder, but I experiment with manual page sizes until it fits inside the webpage, which means the visitor to the site does not leave the website, yet the Blogger can edit as normal, (in Blogger.com) and have the changes reflect immediately in the webpage. See here for my example: http://sandysbythesea.com/blog.htm

Quote Originally Posted by andymack View Post
    From my earlier post: It is very simple to embed a Blogger Blog, ( not WordPress page) just create a placeholder and enter this HTML code:
    <div align="left"><iframe src=http://thisdomainname.blogspot.com/ width="950" height="610"></iframe></div>
    Obviously swap out the name of the blog, change the width and height until you see it fits OK and you are done.
    Someone will tell you that Xara resizes to the placeholder, but I experiment with manual page sizes until it fits inside the webpage, which means the visitor to the site does not leave the website, yet the Blogger can edit as normal, (in Blogger.com) and have the changes reflect immediately in the webpage. See here for my example: http://sandysbythesea.com/blog.htm
    Cheerz for this i knew i had seen it somewhere - and yes it does work a treat :-)

I agree with JimTotal regarding Nabble. It's by far the easiest to setup the mechanics of it. They also have other applications, equally simple -- and one of very few to combine a forum and a group mailing list.

The Marketing Dude suggests that we should all be familiar with apps like forums, live chat and others ... anything that can be used as online customer service.

Is there any reason the same process will not work with a Wordpress.com (hosted my Wordpress) blog?

What about security on Nabble? We were running on a forum (Simple Machines) and a client hacked in. This customer is running a social service with very sensitive information running between members. Need a password protected or by invitation only blog. I am interested in Nabble if it is secure and easy. This customer had some trouble with Blogger a few years ago and going that direction is a disagreeable reception.