Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Information please

Hello, good to be here

Hope someone can help me here. I am considering changing my web development software and have some questions please:

How well does Xara V7 Premium import existing websites?

Does it use Lightboxes for photos?

Can it use Slideshows?

How easy is it to include videos without having to rely on Youtube?

Finally, as I had a template created in my last development program, does anyone on here create custom templates?

Many thanks for any/all input

Default Re: Information please

By far the most productive way to answer these and more questions on suitability is to take advantage of the free 30 day trial period.
    I recommend Web Designer 7 *Premium*

http://www.xara.com/us/downloads/webdesigner/

Hi welcome

well I can answer the first question:

not at all - it is not an editor, it is a generator
    you cannot import existing sites, you can only make changes to sites you created with xara [having previously saved them in .XAR of .WEB file format] and you then re-generate these by re-exporting the HTML
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thank you guys for your speedy replies, I appreciate that.

Handrawn, so there is no import option then? Sledger, I thought I would ask those above questions before downloading the demo as they are features I do need.

Anymore help is apprectiated and thanks again.

If you need HTML import, forget about Xara.

The template choice with Xara is tiny compared to mainstream HTML editors.

It's not a good match for your wishlist, at all.

I can't argue with Paul [I can't argue with Sledger either]

there is no import because xara does not understand HTML internally - it only generates it on export...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by runedog View Post

How well does Xara V7 Premium import existing websites?

I switched to Web Designer 7 Premium less than 2 months ago from Frontpage 2002.
    While I was shopping for software I began with the thought that I needed to import my existing site as a starting point.

After running the trial version of WD7 for a week I decided that the ease of use and built-in graphics features outweighed my desire to import html.
    I'm currently in the process of rebuilding my 40 page small business site.

My process has been to:
    1) Scan through the included templates for a graphics design I liked and could easily customize to achieve my desired site appearance.
    2) Copy and paste text and graphics from a couple pages of my site into the WD7 editor and arrange them within the new template.
    3) Arrange elements so I could firm up my new page design, then create blank pages using the pattern I've worked out.
    4) Copy and paste graphics from the rest of my webpages into my blank pages in the editor. Resize/crop the photos to fit where I want them now. I generally start with my imported text in one large block, off to the right of the page, from which I can grab pieces, and move them onto the page and adjust their attributes for appearance and fit.
    5) Create pop-up layers to simplify the appearance and minimize the size of each page, while retaining all the information I want available to viewers of my site.
    6) Import html code from Paypal for my shopping cart buttons.
    7) Occasionally test the site in preview mode to see if I've gotten any important elements wrong either functionally or in relation to my desired final appearance online, and within browsers other than my own standard choice. I've also exported the partially completed site so I can view it on other computers with different screen appearances.

Along the way I've been discovering many features of WD7 which make complex website design and creation really simple.
    Its taking me a lot of time because I'm not a web design professional, and all at once I'm learning how to use the software, update the information contained on my site, as well as modernize the appearance and function of the site.
    I'm really enjoying the process of learning, and I imagine I'm saving thousands of dollars compared to hiring a stranger to interpret and achieve my goals.

which is probably the sort of thing sledger had in mind ... but maybe not fun if you have lots of sites ?
    Nothing lasts forever...

Runedog, what software do you currently use, why do you want to change and how big are the sites and are they dynamic?

Hi Paul,

WPX5. The way around things to bring me into Xara Premium is if I can get someone to re-create my website template, can anyone on here do this please?

Also, can you create lightboxes in Xara 7?

Is it easy to host your own videos instead of using Youtube as I do now?

Many thanks for your input guys.