Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pantone PMS colors on a website

I'm designing a website for a client who has provided his company colours as Purple PMS 2607, and Grey PMS 428. I don't know much about pantone colours or really use them at all and so I'm looking up examples of the first colour on various websites and the colour seems to vary a bit from site to site. And in xara I see there are different colours named 2607 but with pc, ec, u, m after them and none of them really match the online examples. I can go with a colour I feel is close but I'm wondering if there's a way to match the colour for use on a website?
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

Default Re: Pantone PMS colors on a website

I'm not at all sure if this is a pantone colour question, or a web design question, but my instinct is the latter, so I'm moving it to web chat
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Comparison between Screen colors and Print colors is a bit like comparing Apples and Oranges. Apples and Orances both grow on trees and are fruits, but there are more differences than similarities.

Red, Green, and Blue (RGB) (screen colors) have a wider range (gamut) than Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Black (CMYK) (Printer colors). Pantone colors are specially created inks for Printing that can achieve a color not obtainable by adding various amounts of CMYK inks together.

For your web pages use an RGB color that you feel is close, that is why the different pages you have viewed look different. The person or persons making those pages had their own feeling of what was close.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

OK will do, thanks for the info Soquili.
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

The 2607.
    sRGB: 129 102 152
    Hex: 816698

The 428.
    sRGB: 168 177 177
    Hex: A8B1B1

That is from the Pantone Bridge guide.

Take care, Mike

Most of the ones I've tried for 2607 are noticebly darker than your hex 816698. I guess I just use these pantone codes as a starting point and adjust to suit. At least I know now it's not really possible to get an exact match from pantone colour to rgb or hex colour, so technically my choice can't be wrong!

As Bill points out, Pantone colors are color specifications for printed color.

But Mike seems to have done the hard work and found the closest matches.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pantone.png 
Views:	259 
Size:	1.1 KB 
ID:	87638  

Heck, it ain't hard if one has Pantone's stuff. These days I simply have Pantone's Color Manager software. A click here, a click there and the values are present.

Take care, Mike

Thanks guys. I was going to use the results from this page http://www.pantone.com/pages/pantone/colorfinder.aspx before you posted Mike but the colours it's spitting out for 2607 are darker shades than the one you posted. I guess they are all close enough to give a good idea but it's a bit confusing which one of all these different shades to use a starting point. I'm happy enough to proceed but it's all still a bit confusing with so many variations.

Gary and Mike, for the benefit of those like me that don't often use Pantone colors. When do we know which reference is correct?

Please see attached image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colors2.png 
Views:	950 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	87641  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update