Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I made objects using the quick curve shape tool and then when i went to paint on them , it asked to commit it to an image layer. Only problem is my paint goes outside of the bounderies of this shape. How can I paint only within the boundaries of this object.

David K ... www.dkingdesign.com http://www.dkingdesign.com/stuff/xarax/devil.gif
    IP

I made objects using the quick curve shape tool and then when i went to paint on them , it asked to commit it to an image layer. Only problem is my paint goes outside of the bounderies of this shape. How can I paint only within the boundaries of this object.

David K ... www.dkingdesign.com http://www.dkingdesign.com/stuff/xarax/devil.gif
    IP

I think I found out ... if preserve transparency is checked in the layers section I can paint within he boundaries of my shape. Ok, I'll fiddle with this more before asking questions [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    IP

David,

Committing a vector shape to a layer makes it possible to paint only inside the object on that layer. It's not possible to paint outside the object. Make sure you are painting on the shape's layer rather than the canvas layer.
    IP

yup , all my objects are separate layers ...all named and I think I have this painting on objects down at least.
    IP

Ah, I didn't know you figured it out at the same time I was responding. For me, the preserve transparency was checked as a default and I never fiddled with unchecking it. I learned something new from this myself.
    IP

Yeah this was a major frustration for a couple hours after just getting Painter 6 and trying to figure out why this was happening. Odd that in mine it was checked off by default. My copy's Metacreations so if your's is Corel , they must have changed that.

IP

David,

Take a look at the splash screen and see if you're using Painter 6.1. If so, it's a version released by Corel. If not, you will probably want to install the 6.1 patch as it fixed some problems and also added a couple of features.

If you want to install the 6.1 patch, there's a correct procedure to follow. It's easy, but if you don't follow the exact steps, you'll have problems.

Write to me at jinbrown@pixelalley.com and I'll send you the instructions and the URL where you can download the 6.1 patch.

About painting a Painter Shape:

Painter's Shape tools, Pen, Quick Curve, Scissors, Add Point, Remove Point, and Convert Point are used to draw and edit Shapes.

Shapes can be converted to Selections and if you want to paint or add Effects to the Selection, and have them applied inside the Selection, click the brown icon in the lower left corner of the image window. You'll see three icons. Click the one on the right to paint or add Effects inside the Selection, the one in the middle to paint or add Effects outside the Selection, and the one on the left to paint or add Effects both inside and outside the Selection. Uncheck Preserve Transparency, of course, it you want to affect anything outside the Selection.

To convert a Shape to a Selection, in the Shapes menu, choose Convert to Selection. To convert a Selection to a Shape, in the Select menu, choose Convert to Shape. Any paint or Effects applied to the Selection will be lost if you convert the Selection to a Shape, so plan ahead and do some experimenting before the final work.

Jinny Brown

PixelAlley's Section Links: http://www.pixelalley.com/pixelalley...ons-pages.html
    (Painter 5 and 6 tutorials, Painter 7 info, tutorials, PDF downloads, brushes)
    Painter Forum at In Depth Discussions: http://www.critical-depth.com/cgi-bin/idd/
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

thanks, I downloaded the 6.1 patch last night and have seen no problems with the upgrade. I will have to try out the woodblock effect ... having done a few woodblocks in birch this will no doubt be less abuse on the hands [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eky:

David,

Committing a vector shape to a layer makes it possible to paint only inside the object on that layer. It's not possible to paint outside the object. Make sure you are painting on the shape's layer rather than the canvas layer.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

CORRECTION MADE TO THIS MESSAGE AFTER READING IT AGAIN.. SORRY ABOUT THE FIRST VERSION.. Jinny

What is drawn with either Painter's Pen tool or Quick Curve tool is a Shape. Though other programs may use the term Object, and Painter does when it refers to the Objects palette, Painter uses the term Shape specifically for things drawn with the Pen tool, Quick Curve tool, Rectangular Shape tool, and Oval Shape tool. Also, when a Selection is converted to a Shape.

It's only important to make the distinction because there are so many instances when the term Shape is used in Painter. For instance, in reference to the Shape editing tools, items found in the Shapes menu, in the Select menu, Convert to Shape, etc. Also, there are characteristics that only belong to Shapes and things that can only be done with Shapes.

It is, in fact, not only possible to paint outside the boundaries of a Shape that's been converted to a Layer, it's exactly what happens unless the Preserve Transparency box is checked in the Objects palette's Layers section, or unless the painted area of the Layer (formerly the Shape) is protected by a Selection and that Selection is "told" to allow paint or other treatment inside the Selection, outside the Selection, or both inside and outside the Selection. Once it's been converted to a Layer, it's just like any other Layer and can be treated in all the same ways.

Jinny Brown

PixelAlley's Section Links: http://www.pixelalley.com/pixelalley...ons-pages.html
    (Painter 5 and 6 tutorials, Painter 7 info, tutorials, PDF downloads, brushes)
    Painter Forum at In Depth Discussions: http://www.critical-depth.com/cgi-bin/idd/

[This message was edited by Jinny Brown on November 16, 2001 at 05:56.]

[This message was edited by Jinny Brown on November 16, 2001 at 05:58.]
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP