Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Most wanted addition to Designer Pro

Sounds as if you are after a CAD programme. Having said that there is nothing wrong with your request as AI has a measurement tool although it does not work quite the way you want it to. To that end Illy has a plugin called CAdtools which does this job and more the only thing it adds $200 to the price of Illy making this programme really expensive while they are many free CAD drawing programmes around and one of the better ones is Siemens http://www.plm.automation.siemens.co...idedge/free2d/

I do all my woodwork drawings using this programme but it is only 2D but it does me. Like most CAD programmes it runs from a command box which for a little while seems strange but a fter following their vid. tutorials you will easily get the hang of it. You can bring your files into Xara for rendering to improve your overall look but it is not the place for editing the file.
    Design is thinking made visual.

One addition I would really like is vector fills: I frequently draw a free-formed area, that I want to fill in with another vectordrawing. I use the Mold-tool to reshape the fill vector image, but that is quite a hassle. See example image: the 'gold' brocade.

Oh, and a portable Xara file viewer/printer. Makes life a lot easier to get stuff to the printer.
    And yes, I know of pdf-exports, but my images do not come out right in a pdf-format (parts missing, some stuff is pixelized instead of vectors and such). So i am left with raster-formats like tiff, but then my files are excessively large. So large in fact, that my computer freezes...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhiteTara_Gold_1.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	87660  

Quote Originally Posted by Fred vanderZee View Post
    One addition I would really like is vector fills
    Abso-positively!

Yes, there are workarounds, but they're kludgy at best.

Hmmm... I wonder whether having an early-version, low-footprint CorelDRAW installed might not be a reasonable solution?