Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Need your thoughts on a touch screen Photoshop tool!

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to extend an invitation to give your input on the upcoming EXOPC Photoshop Controller.
    It is a touch screen based controller for Photoshop, and uses the touch screen desk technology, EXOdesk.
    The tools are still in development, and we're looking for the Photoshop community to provide feedback and ideas on the design and features.

If you'd be so kind, please visit our research and development blog's Photoshop section, and let us know what you think about the idea.

http://exopclab.blogspot.com/2012/01...r-exodesk.html

Thanks!
    Dreamcat
    EXOPC Community Manager
    www.EXOcommunity.com

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-9z_EqrOqj2...oto5369872.jpg
    IP

Default Re: Need your thoughts on a touch screen Photoshop tool!

OK

Where do I put this optional "hard" keyboard when I am using it (and when I am not) if I choose not to use the zero tactile feedback touch screen ?

Ditto for mouse/tablet.

Where does my pint mug of coffee go ?

If I am working from hard copy how do I see the control panel ?

Many artists have their eyes on the screen most of the time and their hands on mouse/tablet pen. Looking from screen to panel all the time to find a button will be a pain.

The angle of the panel is perfect for reflecting office lighting straight into the eyes of the operator.

P.S. reported for forum rules infringement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	panel.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	86858  
    IP

Although I thought it was initially fascinating, I noticed a conspicuous lack of Yeomen in mini-skirts surrounding the panel. And there seems to be documents onscreen, and not a wide scan of Alpha Romula IV.

Here's what your booth at the CES should look like, pal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	controlPanel.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	86859

Oh, P.S.—it's really bush league to make a sale pitch your first post on a graphics forum. Nice thoughtful relies, Drwyd!

My Best,

—Gary
    IP

Not trying to sell to you guys, as this app wouldn't even cost anything.

What I am looking for is good feedback on the positives/negatives of a Photoshop touch tool like this, and what features you think would work best.

To answer the physical keyboard/mouse/coffee thing. It is possible to tell the program where you are placing physical objects, so that they are ignored.
    IP

The problems with the desk as I see it is that :-

• Glare from lights, windows and the monitor itself will be a big problem.
    • No-one wants to be continually shuffling their desk clutter to find a button, slider, pop-up window or whatever.
    • Desks are high traffic areas that are liable to have things dropped on them, liquids spilt - keys, mugs, mice and keyboards dragged constantly over them and generally scuffed, scratched and dented in no time at all.

I would need to find the space for another "proper" desk just to put all that stuff.

We have had the technology to do this for a while. There is a reason why no one has done it.

Make it an ipad app that can sit on a dock beside the monitor and it might fly.
    IP

The format of the physical desk is not set in stone, and based on the manufacturer(s) of the hardware, it could come in many shapes and sizes; including desks with extra room on the sides for clutter items.

Keep in mind that graphic design is not the only use, or even main use, intended for the software. It seemed like a good idea for a free app (or apps, if software like Illustrator gets its own version) to make available, and so we thought seeking feedback from the Photoshop community would be a great way to make it worthwhile.
    We are a very online community focused company, and all of our product releases (both software and hardware) have had much community influence on their design and development.

As far as the iPad on a dock idea, we are working on iOS functionality for a future version of the software, so that could be possible.

Thanks again!
    IP

What a bizarre idea that goes against the main principles against which the best UI systems are built.

The best UIs do not drag your attention away from the focus of your attention in order to operate them. You look at the screen then have to divert your attention to the desktop surface. You are going to have a very stiff neck and be totally frustrated at the constant switching of attention.

Current interfaces don't require constant switching of attention from screen to desk - mice/pens don't require looking at, keyboards and physical switches don't have to be seen to be safely operated by a skilled user.

With a large interactive desktop it's going to be hard not to activate something that you didn't intend to use. Raising your arms over such a wide area is going to be very tiring, very quickly.

The whole thing looks ridiculous with a huge desktop interactive area with a rather puny looking display.

I can see a future in such system, but most likely with the display/touch surface set at an angle and being one and the same thing. Big Cintiq, anyone?

You show a huge touch interface then talk about an equivalent using a 10" tablet. Not great for your commitment to the original concept.
    IP

Different device formats would have different tools and purposes. I didn't mean that a clone of this desk tool would be on a tablet or slate.

I know for some it seems strange to split the tools and work area into two displays at different visual levels, but once you start using an interactive desk, it feels really nice. It may not be an ideal solution for everyone, of course. It's a new way of interacting with your PC, and any big change like this takes trying it out to fully realize the flow of it.

I agree that having the option of the actual work area being on the desk screen, and using it like a big Cintiq or Wacom surface would be ideal. A screen that big with a pen layer built in would be fairly pricey, but a capacitive screen with pressure sensitivity levels keeps the price relatively low.
    IP

I'm probably being rather blunt in my criticism. The desk looks fantastic but I don't think it's practical. I guess it's a large pressure sensitive surface with a changeable overlay. I'm sure I have seen the idea before (I don't mean Star Trek).

Of all the agencies/offices that I have worked in, I can't imagine any of them buying it. Office space has always been cramped and stuff strewn everywhere, so I think that cuts down the available clients if the places I've been at are typical. Also people are working with multiple products on the same machines, so having an overlay for one might not be so good.

Touch surfaces aren't ideal for interacting with when a large group of controls are grouped closely - you can't touch type on a touch keyboard, even with haptic feedback.

What has been the response to this device when people play with it physically?
    IP

I think its really cool if your able to make Graphics on a tablet/touch screen. Its not practical on a mobile, no way. And you definately need a pen. But it's nice to be able to go back to (if it is digital) drawing, in a sense. It's much more rewarding and fun. I think so anyway.
    IP