I've been using Xara Pro 4 for years, and when my computer died, I decided to give Xara Designer Pro 7 a try. I bought it and downloaded it. My main use for it is graphics, not website design.

I must confess that the difference in the layers gallery between the 2 versions has flummoxed me. I liked the intuitive way layers worked in Ver 4. It was easy to see what layer I was working on, easy to lock all layers except the one I was working on, even easy for me to open the layers gallery.

In Ver 7, the layers gallery seems fiddly to me. I am unable to lock a layer by clicking on the lock half or more of the time. I'd like to have all layers visible, or at least some layers visible, but locked, while I have others unlocked and visible.

Another thing I've noticed is that if I put an object on a layer (A), create a second layer (B) and move it below layer (A), and place an object on layer (B), that object seems to obscure the object on the upper layer (A) where the objects overlap.

To me that seems just plain counter-intuitive. I'd expect objects on layers further up in the stack to obscure objects lower down in the stack where they overlap.

I've concluded that the layers gallery in Ver 7 must be so radically different than Ver 4 that I need a good tutorial or explanation. I've searched around for one but am unable to find one.

If any of you could suggest something, I'd be quite grateful.

Regards,

Alan