Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Re-ordering and renaming pages

I spent 13 hrs yest' trying to correct a mistake on my index.about us page.No luck!So i figured i would just replace the page with another from the same theme(Veiwfinder).This worked,and i went on to rebuild the page,minus the mistake i made before.However,this new index page refuses to be name and accepted as the replacement.I followed these instruc's :

Just drag the page thumbnail in the Page & Layer Gallery to re-order. To rename a page, first select the page by clicking on it, and then perform a second click on the small page name shown on the bottom of each page thumbnail. (The first page of your website should always be called ‘index’.)...

but it just will not work.Is there anything missing from above method?Can anyone please help me with this?

Josh

Default Re: Re-ordering and renaming pages

Hi Josh, I've tried and failed to reproduce what you are seeing. Is your .xar file small enough to upload here ?

Drwyd..are you asking me to upload the entire website ive made to here?If so,it is 892KB.It is currently 9 pages,inc' two index/Home pages.The original of which ive tried to delete.But each time i do this the Home tab on the navbar disappears!!?..so i just "undo" and get back to square one.Im using the Veiwfinder theme.And when i made a mistake on the index/Home page,which i couldn't repair,i decided to use a new page from the Viewfinder theme,by dragging from the Gallery.If you are asking me to upload all of the site,how do i do this.?Im so sorry,but i am completley new to all of this.But your help would so warmly appreciated,as im very down about my own inabilities.

Josh.

892kb should be ok but it does sound like it is the existence of 2 index files. Try naming the new/repaired one index.html (the original one will be named index.htm) that may get you around the problem but there is a chance you will have to fix the navbar at some point.

Drwyd...i went and named the new main/index/home page index.html,but a warning box came up and said most search engines expect to find a page called index.htm instead...i didn't know if to press the Continue button???Im still at a loss.Do you still want me to upload the web site,or how can i correct this from the navbar?Thankyou for your time.

Josh.

Hmm never seen that warning. Should still be OK to continue and maybe rename to .htm when issue resolved.

Second thoughts, upload it. This is a strange one.

Drwyd, this message appears when you rename the index page in a web doc.

In the OP the index page was reported as being named "index.about us" this is invalid because a period character is a separator between filename and file extension, so the page is being served as index with a file extension of about%20us.

A period character should only be used when explicitly specifying a file extenion for the page (.html/.php/.asp etc) and this cannot be applied to the first page in the document either. The first page is always forced to be exported as index.htm

To correct the above problem with the "index.about us" page replace the . with a _ or -

From post 5 it looks like you have just renamed the new homepage index.html (which is different to the default) which causes this message to be displayed. As you have specified a valid file extension this is fine so you can safely click Rename and your page should still be served correctly.

If you're still having trouble with it could you upload your file?

"index.about us" - I didn't think to take that literally That would explain it.

Petes.Drwyd,thankyou both very much for your help and advice.I do belive that the answer lays firmly in what you both replied to me.But,as a newbie,i feel anxiety about pressing buttons that i don;t really understand the consequence of! However,i'm a college tomoro(learning Inkscape),and there is a web designer there.I plan on showing him your replies,as he will understand them much better than i currently do.This time im not going to run away from something i don't understand by starting my web site all over again.Instead,im going to learn what i did wrong,then avoid that mistake.I'll let you both know how i get on with this problem tomoro night.Again,a massive thankyou for your help.

Josh.

Good attitude to learning Josh. As a Russian general* once said "Train hard, fight easy"

*Edit: Generalissimo Aleksandr Vasil'evich Suvorov (1730-1800)