Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Divided by a common language

In the thread http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...letely-in-Xara! Big Frank started a discussion of the different meaning of words in the US and UK. Maybe we can continue the discussion here.
    I was born in the UK and moved to the US in 1966. I remember several warnings on the use of words when I forst arrived in the US. One being rubber/eraser.
    Actually the discussion does not even have to be UK vs US, I still have arguements with my husband who was born 100 miles south of me on the meaning of words
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

Default Re: Divided by a common language

Well "bloody" for sure translates differently.

Just finished Penelope Liveley's latest book in which an interior decorator talks about fittings, what we would call fixtures.

Fun idea this.

Something my wife and I have noticed in the majority of English writers we read, Oxfam and "jumble sales".

Caravans = mobile homes.

The wireless = radio.

When I started work over here I got blank looks from quite a few of my words. Fortnight was one.
    One of the girls refered to her rear end as fanny. The English contract workers (job shoppers) told me that this was not the English interpretation. I always thought it was the rear and had to ask my husband for the other interpretation.

As for the UK differences he tells me a bun is a fairy cake.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

There can be differences between the US and Canada too what below the 49th parallel is called Big Foot we call Sasquatch and if I say I am a Canuck I am not claiming to be a hockey player(of the Vancouver Canucks), but simply stating that I am Canadian. There can be many localized slang words too. For instance if I spoke about the "Gumboot Nation" I doubt if anyone here would know that I am referring to a local community not far from here. There are also terms that are used in the US that are considered not nice here, for example indigenous peoples who live in the far north in Canada would not be happy at all if you called them eskimos! and we do not use the term Indian unless you mean someone who comes from India. Here we use the term First nations.

I also remember many years ago hearing someone who was from the UK say that they were quite astonished that people here would name their sons Randy, apparently it means something very different there! Here it is simply a boy's name.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Actually I get a kick out of hearing some of the differences.
    For instance I am told there are no cookies in the UK, they call them biscuits, and there is no equivalent to what we call biscuits.
    I enjoy hearing the term bralle (spelling ?),or bumberchute for what we call umbrella.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

we sometimes hear the term brolly here for umbrella here in Canada. we also call our dollar coins loonies and our 2 dollar coins toonies. The dollar coins came first and have a picture of a loon on one side hence the term loonie, then when the 2 dollar bills were replaced with a coin that coin just kind of became known as a toonie. And a cash register drawer for toonies is sometimes called a bear bin because toonies have an image of polar bears on them.

Some US and British terms we use interchangeably here like the piece of furniture in which you keep your clothes can be either a bureau or a dresser.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    ...I enjoy hearing the term bralle (spelling ?),or bumberchute for what we call umbrella...
    Do you mean Braille? Embossed characters for the blind. Never heard of the second one

I think the obvious confusing one is 'chips' [fries to you] and 'crisps' [chips to you I think], though perhaps jam/jelly
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Hmmm names can be a tricky thing, a common name here is 'Dik' , and a cook is 'kok'.
    So, if he chooses a career in the catering business, he would be, kok Dik.
    In English that would be hilarius and unexceptable.

And some other thing is dictionaries.As an atheist (no god or gods belief, the correct definition.)
    I see many annoying examples.

'atheist - someone who denies the existence of god'

I can only deny if the existance is established. So not a good definition.

'disbeliever, nonbeliever, unbeliever - someone who refuses to believe (as in a divinity)'

The word 'refuse', is ridiculous in this, also impying that there is such a thing.

'atheism Disbelief in, or denial of, the existence of a god.'

Sentence also implies the excistance already.

'a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings'

Supreme can be anything, doesn`t have to be a God.

'the doctrine or belief that there is no God.'

I have no doctrine.

'A person who lacks belief in a god or gods'

I don`t have a believe in a God, and it is not a choice.
    And 'lack'? I don`t think I 'lack'(shortage off) a believe.
    Just like Christians don`t lack a believe in Zeus, they just don`t believe it.

Ah well, this is one of my hangups, never mind
    be aware, not to become a ware.

Quote Originally Posted by neodeist View Post
    Do you mean Braille? Embossed characters for the blind.
    No, Frances had it right. Another term for umbrella. I don't know where I picked up the term bumberchute, but I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    my clothes generally go on the floor... or on the bureau if there's room
    Very funny Frank.
    Last edited by wizard509; 18 February 2012 at 07:57 PM.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

a dresser is for plates cups and stuff

a bureau is for writing on

clothes go in a wardrobe
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...