Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How do I make a jpeg image white background transparent?

How do I make a jpeg image white background transparent?

As this thread started in the Photoshop forum of this site (where Google search brought me), I am re-posting it here... to make everyone HAPPY
    ================================================== ================================================== =========
    Fantastic, SPEEDY reply, THANX! However...

I am a raw beginner with Illustrator CS4 (as many visiting this forum may be), so when you reply :

"Using Illustrator's drawing tools, create a vector mask and mask the image." I am already lost :-(

You assume I already have those skills [I DON'T :-)]

My goal was to get an answer like this:

Step 1 - Select This tool =
    Step 2 - Click here
    Step 3 - Now select this tool =
    Step 4 - Do this to change the white to a transparent background =

Now that you have the image separated from the background (or the color white replaced by "transparency"), and now that it is residing on a TRANSPARENT background (workspace canvas),

Step 5 - Do this to select only the image (Not the full canvas) =
    Step 6 - Do File - Export - Select .PNG and make sure the TRANSPARENCY option is set.

If you can fill-in the missing pieces of information in the Step By Step format above, it would GREATLY help me and hopefully, many others!

------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Using Illustrator's drawing tools, create a vector mask and mask the image.

Or if you need to drop out a single color or variations of that color, use the Mehdi Eraser Genuine filter. You can download it for free.
    And JPEG images do not support transparency. So even if you drop out part of the image, the transparency cannot be saved in a JPEG image.
    You can create a TIFF or PNG with Alpha channel transparency of your edited image.
    IP

Default Re: How do I make a jpeg image white background transparent?

Look at Illy's help file for masks.

Look at Illy's help file for which tool is which.

Google with the words: Illustrator mask tutorial
    and you will find youtube videos and web sites.

a lot easier than me typing up all the steps--and all I would do is the google search for you and post the URLs anyway.

Also, if you search Adobe's Illustrator forum, you will also find specific answers to various questions as they arise, and more question will arise.

Now, after sounding fully unfriendly, if I find the time I'll do some steps for you and post screen shots. But I am up against a catalog deadline and will only be if and when I need a longish brain-break or towards the end of next week. This one, reading a forum, was a short brain-break...

Take care, Mike
    IP